How to skin/make ragdolls?

what programs would i need?

1. would it cost money
  2. heard it was easy, is it?
  3. fast or slow to make models?

Skinning and making models (“ragdolls”) are two completely different things.

Skinning:

1. It depends on the program you use. Photoshop is one of the best, maybe the best, but it isn’t free. GIMP and Paint.NET, on the other hand, are free of charge, but come with less features/confusing interfaces.
  2. Skinning is relatively easy compared to modelling. I do it as a hobby and it’s fairly simple for me. I started last summer, though, so I’ve had a little experience.

Modelling:

1. Good modelling programs tend to cost money (3DS Max= 300+ USD), although there are some free alternatives, such as Blender or XSI or even Milkshape. You can also use the trial version of 3DS Max, although you have to buy a license or something after 30 days.
  2. Modelling definitely looks easy at first glance, but from what I heard it’s tough work. Nothing like skinning. You need some real experience to model.
  3. It really depends on the model you’re making. A small knife, for instance, can take a few days, while a character model may take weeks/months depending on how much detail you wish to put into it.

Hell no its not easy i use xsi full version and it takes me around 15 mins to make a detailed prop.

secondly makeing a ragdoll good luck i have been using xsi for around a year and i can rig at most

best bet buy the cd’s from valve store they helped me alot.

also get a digital tutors account and watch the video’s for your modeling program

sorry if that seems poorly written im rather busy

So are the valve cd’s actually useful? as i’ve never actually known of anyone whos bought them before, so i’ve not had anyone to ask ^^