How was lua implemented?

How did Garry implement lua coding into the hl2 engine to get garry’s mod?
Did he add just a few lines of code or was it more than that?
I’d like to know exactly what was changed because I want to implement custom vehicles and weapons into the retail half life 2.

I’m pretty sure it was more than a “few lines” of code. Most of Gmod itself is lua now.

You don’t need Lua to add custom content, but you will need to make a source mod if you want to do anything major.

I can’t code worth sh*t.
I want the custom weapons and vehicles, but I want first person views on the vehicles to be fixed and be able to grab stuff. I know I can “drag” stuff with an addon, but what about fixing the vehicle views?

Well you’re just going to have to learn. :colbert:

Even if you implement Lua in a sourcemod, gLua addons won’t work without an awful lot of effort.

theoretically, could I just use the Garry’s Mod engine with lua edits such as fall fix?

No, there’s a lot more to adding lua than that. You understand that what your asking for took Garry months to get to a usable level? He’s still adding stuff, and if you wanted tons of addons/custom content, you’d need to recode support exactly as it exists here.

If Garry’s Mod were open source, many problems would be solved. But it isn’t.

bin/lua_shared.dll
That’s the essential LUA engine used by GMOD

You mean the source engine. There isn’t really that much to GMod itself. It’s really just a ludicrously complicated lua interface. You have to give Garry credit for that.

It’s loads more than that, to be honest. Though, the majority is.