I dont have a crosshair in gmod

It has been like this for a long time now, but i just now got around to asking about it because i started playing gmod alot more, and it is getting really fucking annoying not having a crosshair. The CSS crosshair still works, but the HL2 one is missing. Also i should mention that i am running gmod in -dxlevel 80. It is really hard trying to use the tool gun without a crosshair, so if anyone knows a solution to this problem, help would be greatly appreciated

Open up the console
Type in “crosshair 1”

Then goto Program Files/Steam/steamapps/username/garrysmod/garrysmod/cfg and look for a file named “autoexec.cfg”. Open it in Notepad, and look through it until you find either “crosshair 0” or “cl_drawcrosshair 0” and change the 0 for 1.

If there is no “autoexec.cfg” then it’s probably an addon that’s causing it. If that’s the case, post a screenshot of your addons folder.

ok i tried all that, and there is a file named autoexec.cfg, but… when i open it with notepad it is blank

go do that

ok well i have alot of addons…

My crosshair was broken by an addon called Half-Life Renaissance (http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=57033) for some reason. I found this thread looked for the file but it wasn’t even there. The only files I have in the folder cfg are: config.cfg, config_default.cfg, content.txt, gmod_cvars_cl.txt, gmod_cvars_sv.txt and server_blacklist.txt please help me i hate not having a crosshair.

I tried using an addon (http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=36678) which allowed you to customize your crosshair it gave you presets and options so you could edit it but now an update to garry’s mod has broken this addon.

I did make a backup of my gmod folder before starting to use addons but for some reason it does not have the file.

Would be a good idea to go into the Help & Support section instead of bumping this old thread. Not sure why but some of the old help threads are in GMod General which means that when they get bumped, they go to the top of the wrong subsection. Go create a new thread in Help & Support.

Try verifying the integrity of your game cache. Go to Steam > Garry’s Mod, right click on Garry’s Mod > Properties > Local files > Verify integrity of game cache. In some cases, it fixes stuff like missing files which it appears that you are a victim of.

Okay. I tryed veryfiying but the file is still missing.

-snip nevermind-

hey guys i found the solution:
as @CoolCorky said u have to do this, but u dont open the “autoexec.cfg”
you open the ‘‘config.cfg’’ with notepad, there is a crosshair ‘‘0’’ thing, only thing u have 2 do is change the 0 to 1 and restart ur garrys mod ^^ have fun i found out for u because i had same problem! gl

i have it on 1 but my crosshair is still not there