I hate errors!

I get this nasty crap every time I try to compile a map:

“”"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
“”"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\half-life 2\hl2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.prt…done (0)
Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “skybox/sky_day01_01rt”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_day01_01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Face List Count >= OVERLAY_BSP_FACE_COUNT

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\half-life 2\hl2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
2 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov 8 2007)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[45 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps[NAME]\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\factory_battle.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps[NAME]\half-life 2\hl2\maps\factory_battle.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”

I tried everything the web sites said: set the setup accordingly, reinstall SDK, etc… NOTHING FREAKING WORKS!!! What do i do?

program files (x86)? And: Face List Count >= OVERLAY_BSP_FACE_COUNT. That doesnt look too good.

yeah something crashed the bsp likley a bad brush or something

Welcome to the world of 64-bit Windows.

Lol. :stuck_out_tongue: After me getting Vista x64, I’ll never et used to the normal “Program Files”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please read your compile log then use google to see the what the error means.

Or take it to Interlopers compile log error checker.

Whats a compile log?

[editline]11:32AM[/editline]

One thing that sucks is even when I replace every texture with debug_white and I turn off all bsp, vis, rad crap, it STILL wont work!

[editline]11:32AM[/editline]

It worked before… why not now?

You have an overlay that is touching to many faces, either that face have a very low lightmap scale or it’s just touching a shitload of faces. If you can’t be arsed to search for that specific overlay, delete all of your overlays. Always compile with vis and vrad, it’s just plain stupid to say that it’s crap. VVIS calculates a load of stuff like visleafs and optimization while VRAD calculates your lighting, always run them on normal.

A compile log is that wall of text you posted in the first post.

Also an overlay can’t be bigger than 64x64 I think.

It can be bigger than that.

Sorry, misread the error.
:downs:

It doesn’t matter one bit if there is an overlay on a displacement. I use overlays on displacements a lot. It’s rather the lightmap scale that is the bitch here.

paste compile log, check for errors, errors appear at the bottom of the page explaining how to fix the errors in your map.

Thats your problem.

Diealready, I already stated that.

Your overlay’s touching too many brush faces. Just edit it so it doesn’t. That should fix it.

Ok your right… I made several fence posts intersecting with fences, that probably did it. However, I already gave up on the map since that was was causing the problem. STILL your advice helps a ton, thank you.