I heard something about the "S&Box" copyright being challenged?

Any truth to this or just dumb rumor?

2 Likes

Truth, we might have to change the name because of https://sandboxvr.com/.

From what I know of it, they’d be alright about us using the name s&box as long as we vowed to never make it VR.

14 Likes

Sounds like you arrived a bit late to the show. :frowning:

1 Like

Is any other name in consideration? I’d hate to see the project branded as a VR Sandbox through and through just cause of it’s name. :frowning:

(also f to the guy who domain-sniped like a pro capitalist)

EDIT: literally thought you meant you were changing it to SandboxVR ignore me, reading is a valuable tool

2 Likes

I mean, their product isn’t similar, and it’s not like VR support would mean the game’s called “Sandbox VR”. Would it be fine if you didn’t reference “sandbox” as a whole and just use “s&box” or “sbox” only?
Besides, it’s not like they can have the rights to the word “Sandbox”, right?

2 Likes

They have their copyright filed (obviously) in the video game/media sector, makes it a dangerous tightrope.

1 Like

They can have the right to the brand name “SandboxVR” and patents on their technology and stuff, but they can’t just own the word “sandbox”

1 Like

Just slap your name in front of it, like “Garry’s Sandbox” and I think you will have no problems in the future with copyright for sure.

2 Likes

I think he’s explicitly stated how he doesn’t want his name on it before, could be wrong tho.

2 Likes

I mean it was just a joke, but who knows really, would be funny to some degree though.

1 Like

They can trademark the word “sandbox” in this area of copyright. Complete precedent for it.

1 Like

S&box is a really nice name for the project and I like the play with the & symbol. Hopefully, the name will stay the same since it fits, but what else could be a great alternative to the name just in case?

IMO it really gotta be something short and catchy

1 Like

Sculpt? Cre8? Dunno. Branding nerds at FP figure that one out.

1 Like

I’d imagine a big issue comes from them realizing that tons of people are too lazy to find which number correlates to an ampersand and they just end up typing Sandbox anyway. Add that on top of the fairly sizable demand for VR in S&box, and now you’ve got people typing Sandbox VR and fucking up search engine results against the actual Sandbox VR.

1 Like

Just be sure to refer to the game as “Sampersandbox” clearly and often.

2 Likes

come on guys, you know deep down what the name needs to be…

Thats right … GMOD2!!!

3 Likes

But there was Gmod2 years ago.

1 Like

That means we don’t have much of choice, it shall be named either Garry’s Mod 3 if Garry’s Mod 2 was years ago or Garry’s Sandbox for no reason then lol.

1 Like

Garry’s Mod 2: Electric Boogaloo

1 Like

I think it’s obvious why it can’t be Garry’s Mod 2. There already was Garry’s Mod 1 - 13, so making Garry’s Mod 2 after Garry’s Mod 13 sounds kinda strange.

I personally like S&Box as a name a lot, it’d be very sad if Facepunch had to change it…

2 Likes