I’m disappointed in the current state of the forums

Ever since Garry gave out keys, the overall quality in stuff that I see here has dropped. Of course, there are a lot of good things being made too, but most of it is just copy pasted darkrp or stuff that people have an idea for and then just don’t provide proof or anything like that. Not to mention the sheer amount of key begging is genuinely making me lose some hope for s&box, because I don’t want to be around people that just go “GARRY PLS GIB ME KEY PLOX”.

Anyways, My question is, are you happy with the current state of the forums?

Edit: Grammatical errors

13 Likes

I think the problem has just moved elsewhere, i.e. the Discord now. Most people who used to post were just there for the keys. Some have them, some are still waiting by being active on Discord. Obviously the forum is less active but it can make the topics more interesting by avoiding spam from some people.

4 Likes

Pretty par for the course, s&box key begging has been a thing for years.

Still, I think more users should do like I do, in posting discouraging comments and flagging useless posts, it definitely comes off as mean but unless something breaks the rules, change will come from the users.

It doesn’t help that many of these posts receive mindless praise or other useless comments, the “here is my gamemode idea” types of posts that don’t showcase anything should not be welcomed, hell, I think even “here is my first map” and stuff like that should just be posted in the WAYWO thread instead, unless you’re specifically asking for critique or help.

7 Likes

It’s in better shape than the discord or the wiki. I think that the amount of “i have an idea for a gamemode give me a key” threads are a bit much. In the end though, there are some cool things being made, like the api explorer or the aperture science gamemode. I have a feeling the WAYWO stuff on the forum will go down on release anyway, give it a few more months.

4 Likes

its really sad tho cuz people weaponize this statement and target people who actually make stuff for sbox or s2

4 Likes

Who is doing this? If the comments are too harsh or not criticism at all feel free to flag them, we don’t need idiots on the forums, especially if they do it on actually good posts.

4 Likes

Eh, you’re always going to have a portion of people feeling entitled whenever something is being given out.

There are many more users on the forum who don’t post because they have no need, and so you’re left with only the clutter of game mode topics in an attempt to get keys, or topics which are annoyed at Garry for not giving them a key (often his behind some nonsense about “not supporting gmod developers”)

5 Likes

S&box appeals to kids. Of course everyone want access to the game as soon as possible, and people are going to make their wants known even if they don’t have anything to show.
It is a little baffling seeing threads started about gamemodes and maps, and they don’t even have any images or concept art to show, but it doesn’t really diminish my hope for the game. They are a vocal minority.

3 Likes

That’s a sad way to put it, knowing that S&box was and has always been the “next-gen sandbox game for modders that’s not in an old as fuck outdated engine”, but many people, despite Garry literally trying to tell otherwise, just see it as “New Gmod”.

6 Likes

facepunch knows it appeals to kids. I don’t think it’s a coincidence the default character model looks like it does.
I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all. Minecraft for example appeals a lot to kids, but that doesn’t make the game worse by any means, and it’s still enjoyed by people of any ages.
I don’t think you should feel sad about it at all. S&box has a lot of appeal to people of all ages.

3 Likes

That’s the tub guy, it has always been used for facepunch prototypes, and s&box was no exception, except s&box, unlike the other prototypes, stuck around.

We all know S&box will some day be covered by children, but I’m pretty sure facepunch so far has only appealed to modders and the kids just came due to all of the “This is the next Gmod” news headlines.

4 Likes

who asked

4 Likes
  • It appeals to modders because it gives us a huge amount of freedom to build any game idea we want and have it accessable in a user-friendly hub.
  • It appeals to children and other people not into modding because it’s a huge hub of different multiplayer games for the price of one game.

About the concerns that the game will be overridden by children, certain gamemodes will appeal to children more than others.
Since s&box isn’t even out yet, and with the potential it has as a social game in these times coupled with the quality and quantity of user-generated content it in no doubt will host…
Maybe I will have to eat my own words in the future, but I think it’s going to be a huge hit in all demographics.
I think g-mod today is a special case, since it’s a cheap game that is getting on in years. Kids flock to it while older people mostly find something else to do. In my opinion, S&box won’t have these problems.

Also, I did not know about the tub guy!

4 Likes

Yes, we can all agree that it’s too early to say, but come on haha we all know how S&box is going to end up, let’s all do our best and try to cultivate a flourishing environment for diverse and creative gamemodes!

In a sense, despite me literally claiming the game is not marketed towards children, the game should strive to be more like Roblox and less like Gmod.

6 Likes

How do you see S&box ending up, Similar to Gmod?

3 Likes

I agree, there’s been too much key begging in the Discord server. In people’s defense though, I can’t blame them. It really does seem like such a cool game, and there’s a lot of cool stuff which looks like you can do. Idk, there’s not much to do about it.

4 Likes

Sorta, tho some aspects will be pretty different

3 Likes

what im disappointed is, with the narrative of early access, people pushed “coders only!” and YES of course to fix bugs and patch up some stuff, but some mappers and modelers got in, but some ea members really pushed coders only narrative too far and now its gotten a bit out of hand imo, as kinda above here, i’d want something clear and simple, they should’ve done it in waves of groups, like if us mappers and modelers waited til june.

3 Likes

One gamemode dominating the market because it is brainless fun, and then it gets copied everywhere until only slight variations of that gamemode remain, and all other gamemodes have little playerbases.

This is why I say we should try our best not to end up like Gmod, luckily in the new engine we should see more and better gamemodes that are not limited by an engine that’s older than its playerbase.

4 Likes

How are some supposed to provide proof without a key to work on the project? And even then, are you expecting them to provide weekly posts on what they have done? Development takes time, and tbh, they dont really owe you proof of their progress.

3 Likes