Ugh… All these FastDL threads. Can people start learn to search the forums first, please!
Alright. First, scrap Workshop. Since you have a FastDL you should take advantage of it. And if you want I can state a few billion reasons why you should use FastDL over WorkshopDL.
First of all, decide where on your web-server you want to place the FastDL. Just go with something like http://mysite.com/fastdl. After that, get this bzip2 compresser (Originally from srcds.com) that I have modified a little to enable recursive compression: bzip2.
Get the files you want to compress. Let’s say you want to compress a few maps located in the maps folder. Copy the maps folder INTO the compress folder of the zip you just downloaded, run bzip.bat and NOT the bzip2.exe as it does nothing without the cmd params the batch file feeds it with.
Upload the maps folder in the compress folder to your FastDL so it looks like this: http://mysite.com/fastdl/maps (Inside that folder, there should now be a couple of .bz2 files which is your compressed files.
Alright, let’s say you want to add a bunch of models to your Pointshop;
- Subscribe to the model you want for your Steam account on the Workshop. NOT the collection on your server.
- Get GMAD Extractor GUI.
- Extract the newly subbed model. (You might have to start up GMod once for it to download)
- Get Fox-Warrior’s Resources Generator.
- Open up Fox-Warrior’s Resources Generator and select the directory you just extracted with GMAD Extractor. Click on File->Generate Lua File->resource.AddFile->File and call the file anything you want, pref resources.lua and save it in lua/autorun of the directory you extracted with GMAD Extractor.
- Upload the entire extracted folder to your server’s /addons folder.
- Copy the models, materials and sound (If there are any) into the compress folder of bzip once again. Run bzip.bat.
- Upload the folders in the compress folder to your FastDL (http://mysite.com/fastdl should now have a dir structure of http://mysite.com/fastdl/models etc etc).
- Put this into server.cfg:
sv_allowupload 0 // Security measure.
- Add the model to your pointshop code ( Google! =] ).
- Restart server and watch dem files download.
Note1: You don’t EVER want .lua files on your FastDL.
Note2: This is very simple, everyone with a brain should be able to do it. If the case is that your brain is currently under maintenance, malfunctioning or is on a vacation, I’ll create a video for you.
Note3: If you by any chance don’t understand the video. I will recreate it and speak english with a russian combined with alien accent and that way I might make myself clearer.