I want to be a Level Designer.

I have used Valve’s Hammer Editor for 7-8 years now. I almost know it like the back of my hand. I’m certainly not the best at it, and I don’t want to be the best. I want to be good, which I am. I want to be able to help others that need it and still get paid for making levels. Level Design is my dream job.

I just don’t know where to go.

I’ve dabbled in a few other game editors, but nothing major. The only other two editors I’ve really used are Unknown Worlds Entertainment’s Spark Editor (for Natural Selection 2), and the Creation Kit for Oblivion and Skyrim. I have picked up on both of these pretty fast. I am a really fast learner, as I find it easy to understand things. I guess I would say I’m a very logical person, but that might also be my downside when it comes to creating things, it depresses my creative side in a sense.

I already know how to design levels, I don’t need help with that, I just need help with getting my foot in the door somewhere.

So Facepunch Mappers, maybe some of you could help me get myself out there in the world and point me in the right direction?

I feel like I should add more to this, but I’m not really sure what to say.

I think learning modeling and expending into the unreal engine would probably be wise.

If youre really good maybe you can make a name for yourself, maybe start your own company, otherwise I think youre probably going to need formal education to be considered for a job in game design.

become active in a mod / some mods and make your self known to the community, and then try for some indie groups. moddb is a good place for that kind of stuff

I do know some modeling. I’ve really only used Milkshape 3D and XSI though. I’ve tried Blender out a few times but I just haven’t had the time to really get into it.

By the time you have finished your games design course, the industry has moved on. Companies are more likely to employ someone who has worked on a mod and has a kickarse portfolio, that someone who has done a course somewhere.

OP. Make something awesome. Build up a portfolio, hit the games jobs fairs. There is one in london every year, there may be others in the world. Talk to designers there, show the world you are out there. Apply for jobs using your work as leverage.

Be like Robert Briscoe.

www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/

I’m pretty sure he’s not gonna have any issues finding a job after he’s done with Dear Esther.

The guy who made minerva is now employed by valve working on ep3.

Oh, if anyone wants to know the uncut version of what it’s like to work in the games industry, speak to me on steam.
It’s also worth trying to get in via quality assurance. You need to be 18, able to travel to the location and have a c in gcse maths and english (for uk).

Build yourself a nice website with a portfolio demonstrating your achievements. I too aspire to work in the video games industry after spending many hours mapping in hammer. I decided to go down the route of a attaining a degree in software development and multimedia, which is working out rather well so far.

Same with me, I’m more in the creative area - creative programming, modelling etc but I fucking love it.

But yeah, build a portfolio of high-quality stuff.

And try to get into other engines like UE3.
Start modelling in Maya/3DS Max
Learn a little bit of coding.
also remember this with source: Detail sprites like a motherfucker

One thing to keep in mind is that being passionate won’t get you jobs, not alone. Get/make a few strong portfolio pieces and put them online to show your skills.
There are a couple articles out there on websites like http://www.gamasutra.com/ that are really intereseting and explain the process of “getting your foot in the door”.

If you plan on being a level designer, you should learn a scripting language, like C# or javascript. and yeah, try moving towards UDK now that a lot of companies use that engine nowadays.

I’m going to Uni next year to do a course in 3D animation. My plan is to rather than just do what I’m expected to do for classes, but learn in my own time too. Basically all I need is help starting off in a computer program, I can use hammer, the UDK and the creation kit, but I still haven’t quite figured out how to model.

I started uni this year doing computer science - and then learning the more “artsy” things in my spare time; so I worked with Hammer awhile back but have now moved onto improving my 3D Modeling and using Spark. I also dabble in flash and photoshop so that I have a wider range of (if poorly achieved) talents.

Throw me a message and ill take you through blender.

I wish you success to achieve your dreams.Buy swtor credits

(User was permabanned for this post ("spam bot" - JohnnyMo1))

In a state of sleep-deprived delirium the other night, I devised a crazy way of brainstorming level layouts:

open up MS word or similar text editor, and choose a very bold, very thick handwriting font (so the letters are connected). Similarly, you can just take a broad-tip marker and do it on a piece of paper.

type/write a few random letters, or perhaps a word. Then study the shape of it–more often than not, you can get some crazy layout ideas from it!

How do I make a “JaYzq” Building?

If anyone is interested in seeing how the masters of rpg made design docs:

Design Documents are useless if you are a small team.

Really?

They show in good detail what needs to be done. If you have a games designer role, then they need to portray how menu systems need to be rigged, and what needs to be modelled up for each level.