I want to try modeling with 3D Max 8

Does anyone know any tutorials for modeling?

Google. I’m not even kidding. There are literally thousands of tutorials for 3dsMax and pretty much all of them are applicable to the version 8. I think 3DBuzz has some video tutorials if you want a jump start, but there is no “do this tutorial and you are an expert”. It takes years of practice.

google and youtube.

I find video tutorials a lot more useful, personally

Although the standard answer is google, could one of you more advanced modelers please point us new modelers in the right direction. Is there any specific beginner tutorial you can point me to? I tried following a video tutorial on modeling a sword but it didn’t turn out as I hoped it would. I know it sounds lazy to not want to search and find the proper tutorial, but it would make things a lot more clear and reassuring if an advanced modeler could personally recommend a tutorial.

God damn we need a question megathread…

Anyone know any tutorials for setting up models for the source engine? I found a few on youtube but they weren’t very good.

Here’s a good tutorial to help you get started with 3ds max: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRkkGzA98k&feature=channel
It’s the first in a series so if you already know this stuff you can skip ahead to the more advanced ones.
It’ has about 20 parts.

Ok thanks for all the help everyone provided