Idea for "public" s&box early access

With s&box coming in the near future, I want to propose my idea for a “public” early access to the game.
I don’t think that it’s a surprise to anyone that s&box is going to have a workshop and mods made for it, but I think that giving only select people access to early access could be good and a disappointing thing. On one hand it could be a good thing because we don’t people to just come in and make a bunch of penis dupes and models and call it a day. But on the other hand, people who didn’t have a chance to sign up for early access or could have added more to their application will miss out on.

Honestly there isn’t really a lot I can talk about on the topic of early access that hasn’t already been said, I just really want to mod for this game.

:thinking: what’s idea of this post?

6 Likes

shit i kinda threw this together in like 2 minutes probably should have put more in here, but the basic idea is early access to modders for the first half of this year, and then the general public get access the last half

2 Likes

That’s already the plan

5 Likes

i think hes talking about select modders though

3 Likes

I don’t think every modder should get access just because they can fiddle a little with code. I dislike the idea of whoring the game in rough shape to everyone just because they claim they are a modder and in the end, don’t end up benefiting the project in any way, I’d say people with a good amount of experience should be handpicked.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, Facepunch won’t have trouble with giving access to modders, in fact something tells me they already have some candidates in mind - the ones who keep developing stuff for Garry’s Mod and/or Rust for years. It’s not difficult to tell if a person made a valuable contribution based on his/her previous publications.

2 Likes

That’s what Garry plans to do, he probably already knows who he’s going to give out the early access and the sign up would be almost useless, the thing we don’t know is whether he’s going to handpick a dozen of experienced and well known modders, or a hundred of the most promising from the bunch.

2 Likes

That’s gonna happen sooner or later though. And I don’t think people making bad mods or shitty stuff is gonna slow development. Just ignore them.

2 Likes

I think facepunch are pretty smart when it comes to these sort of things. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are even a few waves of early access. Say the first wave is people who are known to be good at creating addons/maps/etc as they did in gmod or other places, so they could first gauge how the people they know will develop for the game feel about how it’s been constructed. Then maybe after that some more general people who still plan on developing for the game but have less of a portfolio to show for it. Then maybe in a third wave or something more public but I don’t see it going full public unless they do a pre-order system and I don’t see garry doing that at all.

3 Likes

I want access to S&box because it looks fucking glorious.

Garry and S&box team are aware that many people feel this way. They’ve received enough plenty enough well-meaning yet irritating fan messages.
You can see on the commits how passionate they are. The amount of work they do is almost insane at times and it just keeps coming together. This month’s post is gonna be great.

Garry mentioned that giving access this early would make him shift priorities away from the fundamentals, which they are obviously doing a great job of fleshing out and polishing right now for the non-VR(pancake) experience. This seems like a mature decision to me.

While I’m personally inspired by the potential that is practically radiating from the project(to a degree that has almost made me foam at the mouth) I still think that everything considered things are moving with a good attitude at an even better a pace than we could reasonably have expected a year ago.

TL;DR: don’t worry, soon(:tm:). etc

5 Likes

piggybacking off of others here, we all want to be a part of it but the truth is that not everybody is going to be useful to the beta. They need to both get content and useful feedback on the developer features, neither of which most of us can provide.

I want to be in the beta and are an amateur at c#, but its simply the truth that people like me have very little to add. So let us just wait a little while longer for the team to get the game ready.

2 Likes