IDEAS for Defending Your Base When OFFLINE

One thing I really like about Rust is the strategy behind building a secure base. Especially the thought put into how secure your base is when nobody is online to defend it from intruders. This includes everything from foundations/pillars to prevent the pillar climbing exploit to decoy rooms with empty storage crates. However, that feeling of knowing your base could cowardly be raided when you are offline lingers in the minds of a lot of rust players.

Listed below are some ideas to be implemented into the game for the primary purpose of OFFLINE BASE DEFENSE.

Feel free to share some ideas of your own or tell me why some of my ideas are bad!

1. Forcefield
    The concept would be something that could be activated for 8 hours. If anyone you share your base with were to spawn into the server, the “forcefield” would become deactivated with a 16 hour cooldown. The forcefield wouldn’t make the base impenetrable, but instead a little more difficult to penetrate (perhaps double the C4 necessary).

2. Booby Traps
    Stepping through a wire that activates a nearby grenade. Stepping on a landmine. Walking through a line that shuts a gate that could lock you in a room. An electric fence that shocks you.

3. Auto Turrets
    Automatic weapons that shoot at nearby intruders (see TF2).

4. Metal Gate
    Much like the wooden gate, but something that would require C4 to break through.

5. Draw Bridge
    Exactly what it says (would require water within the main map of course).

6. Guard Dogs
    Ability to tame dogs/wolves that you could place around the base.

7. Ability to dig
    Allowing you to build holes that enemies could fall into.

8. Poison
    Ability to place poison onto items of your choice into your own storage crate. If a player were to equip and/or consume this item/food, it would poison them.

• now this would be trolling… instead of shooting all rock newbie spawns this would result in lots of poisoned ones :smiley:
    • auto turrets not within concept (at least in the future I think)

------ my suggestions -----

Apart from already mentioned booby traps and bridges which btw Rust dev team approved they are working on, the best defense for me would be to remove ability to hack into the distance. What I mean is prevent hacks that allow you to see everything there is on the map cause hidden bases are one of my favorite elements.

Another thing is to make C4 charges be even more difficult to obtain because I alone can farm up to 5 C4 on one long evening from scratch and I consider my self an average player, so a team of 5-7 could go at least 7 times that a day and really nuke someones base.

The problem with booby traps is the person can just spawn on a nearby bag and come back and loot their bag and keep going. if you are offline is that 30 seconds gonna accomplish anything?

More than one booby trap?

The sleeping bag radius should be increased, so that your sleeping bag can’t be within 1000m of any of your others.

Any sleeping bag, unless something has changed, within 100m radius of one of yours that you’ve spawned at is inactive. Sure you can place 10 of them next to each other but they do nothing.

I love the idea of the Guard Dogs / Wolfs, this would be a great addition to the game.

Here’s a couple ideas.

1. Snares. You can leave a player hanging from a hidden snare in the dirt, until they either break free, cut the rope, or someone else helps them

2. (This could already be done) While it won’t help against C4, changing the code on your door right before you leave can do wonders, especially if you change it from “1234” to something more complex such as “7284” (Not my code. Nice try raiders XD)

3. Natural Camouflage for your base (Leaves, sticks, etc.) Would only be effective if it was small and in a forest, though.

Most of what I was going to say has already been covered XD

Barbed wire and landmines.

game needs landmines.

Good point. It would at least require them to drop their bag and force them to use C4 if they wanted their gear back. It might also make them waste C4 they have on them to get out of the room.

/Start sarcasm

Just setup a company that strikes a deal with the off shore gold farmers in WoW where you split the profits. Pay 1-5$ a day for protection of your base / resource collection. Sit back and collect profits. You would be surprised how many people that play video games have stupid amounts of extra cash to chuck around.

That or setup an txt notification system, where you can enable a txt message if your base is under attack. There are servers with mods that send you in game messages when you are getting raided so this isn’t much of a stretch.

/End Sarcasm

Decrease C4 and make it extremely rare.
Like one person could get 1x C4 every other day.

Draw bridge <<awesome idea

Here is another thought, make your base like a maze, lots and lots of doors, up and dn and up again.
Lots of rooms to waste time in. Etc. Let your mind wonder…

Put spikes all around so they cant come thru the walls

Booby traps would be nice. Land mines would be hilarious. Spike wall durability shouldn’t be so small, ie Spike Walls should last longer before decaying.

One thing I really like about Rust is the strategy behind building a secure base. Especially the thought put into how secure your base is when nobody is online to defend it from intruders. This includes everything from foundations/pillars to prevent the pillar climbing exploit to decoy rooms with empty storage crates. However, that feeling of knowing your base could cowardly be raided when you are offline lingers in the minds of a lot of rust players.

Listed below are some ideas to be implemented into the game for the primary purpose of OFFLINE BASE DEFENSE.

Feel free to share some ideas of your own or tell me why some of my ideas are bad!

1. Forcefield
    The concept would be something that could be activated for 8 hours. If anyone you share your base with were to spawn into the server, the “forcefield” would become deactivated with a 16 hour cooldown. The forcefield wouldn’t make the base impenetrable, but instead a little more difficult to penetrate (perhaps double the C4 necessary).

could be abused in soo many ways

1. Booby Traps
    Stepping through a wire that activates a nearby grenade. Stepping on a landmine. Walking through a line that shuts a gate that could lock you in a room. An electric fence that shocks you.

brilliant and awesome idea, they have to however be able to be seen from a distance or from outside of them, so you can distinguish by a trap and other stuff, but people rushing in would get caught etc.

1. Auto Turrets
    Automatic weapons that shoot at nearby intruders (see TF2).

stupid.

1. Metal Gate
    Much like the wooden gate, but something that would require C4 to break through.

good idea.

1. Draw Bridge
    Exactly what it says (would require water within the main map of course).

if you could somehow get around it then yes. if it’s impossible to get over without being on the other side then no it could be insanely abused.

1. Guard Dogs
    Ability to tame dogs/wolves that you could place around the base.

sounds cool, needs a tweak on how you tame (cost etc) and a limit etc.

1. Ability to dig
    Allowing you to build holes that enemies could fall into.

game would be riddled with holes everywhere, too abusive.

1. Poison
    Ability to place poison onto items of your choice into your own storage crate. If a player were to equip and/or consume this item/food, it would poison them.

sounds like a very nice idea.