Ideas for the game! post your own or comment on others'

Rust: Ideas, concepts and additions 2.0

These are all features for when it is appropriate to add them

I. Your Character:
-Character Customization allows you to choose your name (which will appear in the chat), change facial features and skin color and along with gender, the list goes on. It also allows you to choose your initial clothes picking from different patterns and colors.
-Although you can choose the specifics, every player starts with a shirt and pair of pants and sneakers. (Instead of the military outfit that is in place now)
-Every one starts with only 6 inventory slots (the hot bar) and a hatchet
-Only has the ability to carry a single pistol at any given time
-Your character can gain anxiety or go insane depending on what he does or see’s, for more information visit: http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1295214 [Idea from Sockem]
-If not equipped with the right clothing during the winter after a certain amount of time your character will begin to freeze and lose health

II. Crafting:
-The items you can initially craft is very limited. You will gain the ability to craft more items as you create the tools necessary. Each tools unlocks more craft able items and certain items require multiple tools to craft
-Clothing can now be crafted, this includes: Long sleeve shirts, jackets, hoodies, gloves, boots, etc.
-Mines and bear traps (will kill animals and damage players) can now be crafted [Idea from BlazingSarge]
-A backpack can now be crafted in order to gain your full inventory (all 48 slots)
-You can now craft a map, which becomes more detailed as you explore
-Gun holsters can now be crafted in order to carry more than one pistol and up to two long guns (such as shotguns, rifles, etc.)
-Guns and ammunition are much harder to craft but also come with more power: the first step to building your guns if crafting a furnace. Then by using this furnace you create the parts of the weapon. Such as the stock or barrel. Then you can assemble the weapon into the final product.
-Walls damaged by gunfire can be repaired
-Torches can now be crafted and are a way to light up your surroundings using very little resources. They can be carried or placed in a wall or on the floor. Torches eventually burn out.
-Gates can now be crafted and function very similarly to doors except are much larger allowing horses and cars to pass through (horses are mentioned later)
-Saddles can now be crafted (purpose is self-explanatory)
-A small amount of cars (pick up trucks and motor bikes) can be repaired once enough parts (the number varies depending on the vehicle) are found throughout the world but the number of cars is never changed causing players to fight over them [Idea from BlazingSarge and TG Titan]
-You can now combine leather and kelvar armor to make heavy armor (similar appearance to the juggernauts in call of duty) which will absorb much more damage but makes you move much slower

III. Weapons and Combat
-Guns now can jam causing the player to go through a 4 to 6 second animation, which will in turn un-jam the weapon (this only happens when reloading so you wont die because your gun jamed in the middle of a fire fight)
-There is now a peek mechanic allowing players to fire at an angle from behind cover
-While using a firearm you can melee an enemy with will knock them back and stun them
-Weapons and armor have a much more crude look to them, weapons have rust and dents (an almost orc-like look to them) and armor looks as if it was made by a man living in the wild.
-A spear can now be crafted (good for hunting and very cost-effective)
-Bows and Arrows can now be crafted (they are silent and can kill with two well-placed shots, and the arrow drops as distance increases) with very little resources
-A crossbow can now be crafted (a more modern style without the scope: http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/...831c90f733.jpg). The crossbow requires much more to make with more accuracy and damage than the bow but a longer reload time, although they both use the same ammunition [Idea from Puppyxz]
-A makeshift riot shield can now be crafted used only as a form of defense
B.) Guns, I think they should be generic weapon types with only one or two per type such as:
-A shotgun (double barrel which can fire both bullets at the same time, and a pump-action, based off the remington 870)
-A Pistol (a model similar to what is already in the game, based of the colt 1911, along with a revolver that deals more damage with less in the clip and more recoil)
-A Hunting rifle (bolt-action, good at range but can only be used with iron sights, based off the mauser)
-A Burst rifle (similar to the m16 but limited to a 3 shot burst, if fired off very quickly it will jam, based off the stg 44)

IV. Hunting wildlife and enemies:
-There are more animals the list includes: bobcats, wolves, rats, birds and even cougars. (With these new animals maybe new collectable items can be found)
-If the animal is killed by the bow and arrow or the spear more items will be skinned and collected due to the cleanness of the kill
-Horses can now be found although they are fairly rare and need to be broken (tamed) and have a saddle equipped in order to be ridden
-Horses can be tied to and structure or tree and can be fed in order to regain health
-Horses have a lot of health
-Maniacs (which are practically replacements for zombies) can be found throughout the world and will aggressively attack you with anything from their fists to a hammer to a pickaxe and will constantly twitch, mumble and talk to themselves due to their insanity

V. Game Mechanics
-Armor and certain weapons and tools (the bow, spear, hatchet and pickaxe) now have a durability meter that slowly is depleted to the point where the item breaks (maybe rust can develop on them!).
-Gathering wood from trees is a longer process but pays off more: First you must cut the tree down then cut up the fallen trunk and at that point all of the logs are collected.
-Trees that have been cut down remain, as a stump until a certain amount of time has passed which then the tree will grow back again.
-Firearms now can punch holes through structures much like in DICE’s Battlefield series.
-Although walls, barricades and doors can only severely damaged not completely destroyed and can be repaired.
-You can now trade with merchants who wander the map (often found in caves at night) and constantly move
-Each item has a score given to it based on its general value (this score-point system is no different to currency) and based on that score you can trade it (along with other items if you wish) for an item(s) that the merchant has.
-You can now add “friends” which allow them to open your doors [Idea from Roupas1]
-Friends can be seen on your map
-As you begin to loose more and more health your screen begins to go black and white [Idea from elixwhitetail]

VI. The Game World
-Much larger maps (making horses more valuable)

• Cars can spawn individually or in large numbers (such as a junkyard) giving resources such as metal fragments, rations or even other items from the past (electronics, tools that increase crafting time, etc.) (Idea from geogzm]
    -Cars regenerate loot over time making junkyards hop spots and very valuable areas [Idea from geogzm]
    -While any resource can be found anywhere, there are areas where one certain resource’s presence is huge (junkyards and caves for metal, forests for wood, plains for animals)
    -Seasons are now added (winter, summer, spring, fall) all with different weather patterns (snow increase in the winter, rain increase in the spring)
    -Resources to craft ammunition are much more scarce so players need to be more conservative when it comes to firing off rounds
    -Binoculars can now be found as loot [Idea from Roupas1]
    -Dynamic radiation causes the intensity and area effected by radiation to shift, for more detail visit http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1296279. [Idea from Sockem]

Agree or disagree and leave some feedback! I will constantly change the list by either adding your ideas or by taking out ones that don’t quite fit. Thank you so much!

Hall of fame: Sockem, Roupas1, geogzm, young5nake, BlazingSarge, Puppyxz, TG Titan, elixwhitetail

I don’t think someone will be gathering hundreds of logs and mining out stone from the center of a huge rock using a knife…

Thats a good point! haha I didnt think about that thanks for the feedback

Players should spawn naked with a jiggleboned penis

Bandits should get boners, like the towel in DayZ

I cant believe i didnt think of that one myself this list is a disgrace

in all seriousness though, I think being hit with a silencer should have some kind of sound so that it’s not just like “oh shit what I’m taking damage”

But in real life, the bullet doesn’t really make any sound when it hits you regardless of suppressor, silencer, or default barrel.

For sure i 100% agree, what do you think about the list though?

But in real life you’d be able to feel something piercing your skin - a sound would suffice to indicate that

maybe your character can grunt or make some noise when taking damage?

I’m liking the idea of guns being much harder to obtain, I really think they should be reserved for later-game. Taking scrap from cars would be pretty cool as well, if they spawned in like junkyards they could become highly-contested loot spots. Maybe the loot inside them would slowly regenerate/reappear, causing groups to seek control over it for a while - things like metal fragments, rations and possibly things like electronics in the future could spawn in there.

I just think the game should reward players who are careful with they supplies because i feel like it supports people who want to go around rambo style blowing everyone’s shit up

I’d love to see different levels of the game, too - I mean like, at the lone wolf tier of gameplay, you’d be able to get a base secure in the secluded hills, banditing it up with maybe 4-5 other guys, lone wolf raids would be shorter and a faster style of gameplay, and up at the large group tier, there would be large towns and fortresses that could potentially take days to plan an assault on, I’m talking groups of about 30 with varying uptimes - then maybe a level higher than that? I’m not sure - it depends on how large Rust gets

I’m confused on what exactly you mean by levels? are these like different modes with different maps with different amounts of players?

He means for the game to be reasonably fun at all scales of gameplay

so your endeavors could be just as successful and fun with 3-5 people as it would be with 20-30

But the damage arrow already does that…

It doesn’t signify that you got shot though. In real life, there’d be a much clearer difference between being hurt by hunger and being shot.

I really think that this list would make this game ten times better!!! If they were t add this to the game then I would never stop playing it…

Wow, thanks so much! That means a lot