I'm lost when it comes to traces...

Hi there, I’ve been trying to create a crappy Metal Gear-esque gamemode, and production has gone along fine… Until I came upon the issue of getting the alert working when a guard sees Snake.

I know I have to use a trace, and I’ve tried scouring the Gmod Wiki mirrors (other trace related searches only bring up clientside aimbots), but I’m still somewhat confused. I believe I have to use this to conduct the trace, but then I have no idea what to do from there.

[lua]function sight()
if traceRes.HitNonWorld then
sight = true
else
sight = false
end
end

pl=player.GetByID(1)
traceRes=pl:GetEyeTrace()[/lua]

This is my coding for this part so far. As you can see, pretty lackluster. I need to make it so that sight only equals true if the guard see’s Snake, who is on the opposite team (while ignoring the guard’s teammates) but I haven’t seen anything which discriminates based on team. Plus to add onto that, I need to make it so Snake can’t use it, which makes it all the more worrying. Can anyone help me? It would be extremely appreciated!

[lua]
function Alert()

for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do

if v:Team() == GUARD_TEAMNUMBER_HERE then
		local tr = v:GetEyeTrace()

if tr.Entity:GetClass() == "player" and tr.Entity:Team() == SNAKE_TEAMNUMBER_HERE then
			-- do whatever you want for alert

end

end

end

end

hook.Add(“Think”, “Alert”, Alert)
[/lua]
Untested code. Tell me if it errors, or if you want it commented.

Thank you VERY much for the response! As soon as I get a test ready, I’ll report back with the results!