i'm making this because no one has posted this problem before, and now i know why.

because the steampowered FAQ broke their computer!

i recently got this error on Gmod after un- and reinstalling it, “Failed to create D3D device! Please see the following for more info. http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=772” so after copying the error message down by hand just in case [by hand because it wouldn’t let me highlight it and copy] i followed the link, tried the fix. note to self:do not update an up-to-date video driver, you’ll fry your hardrive, which is exactly what i did, now i’m running on the back-up usb drive i keep that has a copy of Ubuntu on it, which sucks because it’s only 3GB, however i’m not here to complain, i want to know if there’s some other fix to the problem that they didn’t mention for when i get my computer fixed and want to play Gmod.

oh also if any of you know an easy way to get steam running on Ubuntu 11.04 please tell me, the ways i found just seem so complex and don’t really seem worth it