Imagine something big for S&Box on the scale of the OTV Rust Server

So recently, seeing how huge the OTV Rust Server has become and how Rust’s popularity has increased as a result, imagine how big S&Box could become with that same sort of influence! If a fleshed out RP gamemode was established for S&Box and a server was created by content creators to make videos/streams out of, imagine how big that could be for S&Box.

Yes, there is already great value out of the OTV Rust Server, but it’d be awesome to see an RP server in a more urban setting, where there’s more freedom with what people could do with RP instead of what’s provided in Rust. Hell, this could even expand to different kinds of RP experiences as well (Medieval, sci-fi, etc.)

What do you guys think of this? I’m curious to know.

2 Likes

Something like that couldn’t happen on a sandbox game, if they wanted to make a server they’d have to hire developers and spend months creating the gamemode, and unlike Rust they can’t just rely on Facepunch to do it for them.

Best chance for this to happen would be having a pre-existing really good and popular gamemode that appeals to everyone and isn’t boring to watch, which doesn’t exist in gmod so it may never appear in S&box as well.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’d be out of the question because of what RP was like in GMOD as well as the fact that it’s a sandbox game. If everything, I think a lot of people would want to stray away from what GMOD RP servers were like. I could be wrong, but I’m hopeful none-the-less.

I’m confident that a good RP base will come out for S&Box and I feel like there’ll be a lot of cool stuff coming out from the community to support it.

2 Likes

The OTV server is a mess, every streamer wants to be the main protagonist and it’s always cringe seeing them try to one-up each other.
We have seen them form groups of cops, criminals, suppliers, farmers etc… so I don’t think they would all become criminals and play the DarkRP style.
I’m afraid there’s just no interest in the Gmod style, we’ve had Among Us (TTT) and Fall Guys (Death Run) but they never got popular, hopefully S&box’s cartoony visual style will make it pop up more.

5 Likes

I think the whole ‘everyone wants to be the protagonist’ thing is expected as everyone is trying to establish themselves and their characters and make themselves look good. So I completely understand where you’re coming from with that. I think one of the only streamers I genuinely enjoy watching from the OTV Rust server is Cr1tikal.

I do feel that S&Box will probably have a much broader appeal, compared to what Garry’s Mod had. And I think considering the visual styles that S&Box will have, that could be a huge factor as to reaching that broader appeal.

1 Like

Gmod kinda sucks to develop in though, and S&Box looks like it really doesn’t.

I think it’s gonna be a lot easier to get a decent server/gamemode done here, and more people should be able to do things themselves instead of relying on Random McShmuck charging $50 for a 20 line script.

1 Like

It’s still gonna require programming, if not relying on “Random McShmuck charging $50” then they have 2 options:

1. Learn a programming language from 0 with no previous knowledge on coding while trying to upkeep a streaming schedule.

2. Rely on “Random McShmuck fan” willing to do it for free, which has no incentive to deliver a good product, or deliver at all.

Not to mention that if they wanted a server they might want a custom map and custom models too.

1 Like

There will be RP modes in s&box, and then maybe, in due time, streamers will all create a RP server for them to mess around for a month before they go onto the next big thing. This will only happen if:

1. The RP mode is great (otherwise they would just play FiveM on GTA which is what already happened not so long ago).

2. There’s already an established playerbase, meaning the game isn’t unknown to the public (this goes along with a great RP mode existing, since the more people that play the game, the more quality game modes we’ll get, RP or else). This isn’t really a requirement, but if more people play, it’s more likely that a steamer will know about the game, and if it already has a playerbase it might push them over the edge of: hey maybe this is fun.

3. Happens organically. Ideally somehow a very influential streamer proposes it and everyone would tag along. There’s no way FP will buy their way into this.

That’s basically it: have a great RP mode already existing, have a big streamer take interest on it, enough to get their friends on board, and then it all snowballs from there.

Which is also what happened on Rust with Egoland: a single guy had the idea and everyone followed suit, it isn’t that rare since it’s also more profitable for them, since usually during these times they get more viewers than average. This isn’t new or anything, it’s proven.

2 Likes

Considering all the possibilities S&box will bring us and the fact it will have native VR support, a lot of stuff is possible. But, I don’t think S&box will that big in Twitch Streaming world, at least not from the start and until the is some sort of widely popular mainstream game mode.

Also, most of us ‘‘watched’’ the streams just to get in-game drops for Rust, so I really don’t see how they could pull drops for S&box since players will be able to pretty much add and make anything in the game they want.

2 Likes

Imagine having DarkRP + Skyrim + GTA 6 + Cyberpunk + VRChat + Brawl Stars + Roblox + Minecraft and more all on one S&Box server with full customization and cars and drugs and and darkrp and guns and all that running at 30000 fps and -1 ping and customization just imagine guys cuz if we imagine it more frequently it will happen on its own because sb&ox is coded in such a way that it codes itself when you imagine things unlike gmod where not that much depends on the game itself but more on what people create in it but yeah darkrp skyrim customization MMO with skins and crates with 30000 players on a single server and 5000x5000km map and spacecrafts is certainly gonna be a thing oh shit I pooped my pants, mom

3 Likes

Someone’s a Debbie downer

2 Likes

This but unironically

2 Likes

ew

1 Like

Yeah man, it was totally never a big deal and wasn’t frontpage of youtube gaming for a while.

6VrRjeo

2 Likes

We’re talking about streamers showcasing the game to their audience because it’s appealing. You don’t need to tell me Gmod is popular.

1 Like

I still don’t think that something big like this should be out of the question. I mean, Garry’s Mod around 2013-2016 was huge on YouTube! So I wouldn’t be surprised if S&Box catches on with streamers and YouTubers but on a much larger scale than Garry’s Mod. I mean for a while, FiveM was huge on Twitch with a lot of streamers playing it so something like this for S&Box I wouldn’t be surprised if it caught on.

3 Likes

I can definitely imagine a large Half-Life 2: Roleplay with a fully fledge player base of nearly 500 people. Whereas you can see a thriving community of players living out their dreams to play on a popular server and RP being beaten up by Metrocops. Stuff like this makes me think that Sandbox can be similar to San Andreas Multiplayer (SAMP). They had huge servers with hundreds of people living and playing in a city.

2 Likes

There will be no HL2 content in sandbox officially. Therefore that is unlikely. Not to mention we do not know what they will be able to do, let alone what people will want to do. I am not saying you cannot dream of it, I am saying tone yourself down there buddy. Setting huge expectations that in many ways will be something too big to achieve without large amounts of funding and time and massively as well as lifted limits not just above what source allows, but even beyond what most game engines like UE4 try and allow on the high end is asking a lot of FP.

2 Likes

Source 2 probably limits to 255 players.

1 Like

Garry did say that 500 player servers would be nice tho so it might happen

2 Likes