Important quotes from Garry's AMA

Hey guys,

Just wanted write a summary of important quotes from Garry’s AMA. Link to it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comments/1u5kqp/i_am_garry_newman_ama/

“Taming animals, farming and butchering is something we have talked about”

“Yeah. The realistic weapons are something we want to phase out. They were placeholder, it’s it’s kind of apparent that they kind of shouldn’t exist - and if they do they shouldn’t be so accessible.”

“We don’t know what we’re going to replace zombies with. It’s not like we’re going to remove them and put something where they were - because from our point of view they’re not needed. We’ll add more ways to get killed later on.”

“Yes. Boobytraps are something we want to add. But we don’t really want to add prefab booby traps. We want to add systems so you can come up with your own.”

“Yes, the long term plan is different terrains/seasons.”

“We have a lot of ideas for vehicles… but they’re probably a bit of a distance away”

“I think we are [adding a compass]. Along with moss on trees etc…”

“We don’t want to add a map in the traditional sense. We have a few ideas on how to handle it though.”

“Things like shovels and burying a stash or stuff is though. That’s something we want to add.”

“Yeah resources/animals/enemies are something we need to address. We basically want to add a Game Director for each player… that watches them and thinks about what they’re doing, and what they’re not doing… and if we think they really really need wood… (and a bunch of other conditions are met) spawn some wood near by.”

Sounds like they are really aiming for a permanent Hunger Games style of game, which is totally cool by me.

What I wouldn’t mind are cave systems, as well as perhaps a way to dig into the terrain and made some systems. Although I understand that would be extremely difficult and would probably involve revamping how the map is.

He actually answered a question about caves. Forgot to add it:

“It’s something we have talked about… we do want to do it… it’s just the technicalities that are stopping us. It’s not an easy thing to implement.”

the current map is only a test map, so don’t bother how it would change or look like.
they need to think about content, before recreating a map.

You missed quite a bit from the AMA. Might want to go back through it.

“Yeah resources/animals/enemies are something we need to address. We basically want to add a Game Director for each player… that watches them and thinks about what they’re doing, and what they’re not doing… and if we think they really really need wood… (and a bunch of other conditions are met) spawn some wood near by.”

This right here shows me it is going to be almost like a TV show that we are all in (Hunger Games style). The admin is the director and gets to help or hurt us.

That’s not what that says at all.

You really need a better analogy than Hunger Games. Just because people try to kill each other in Rust doesn’t make it at all like Hunger Games.

[editline]21st January 2014[/editline]

I don’t understand how they can tone down realistic weapons and, at the same time, phase in vehicles and attack helicopters.

Realustic weapons should be removed completely. How can you create an m4 from shards of metal ore with nothing but a wooden desk, takes away the survival feeling

Last time I checked this is a game…

Except that, it’s exactly like Hunger Games, except without a winner. Everyone is put in an arena, in this case, an island, with the goal to survive. And there are random items that spawn all over the map to help you.

The vehicles could be stuff like hang gliders, horses and covered wagons and stuff.

I think it would be cool to be able to relocate your shack after it’s been found, or to tour the road with goods to peddle.

An awesome idea but given that the game is basically an entire height map with props and not a procedurally generated world like say… Minecraft… There is a huge limitation in doing this properly.

It’s not easy to do these kind of free form games without making your CPU cry.

I hope the removal of realistic weapons makes the kids go away. This game is being marketed as a survival game, and it’s a PVP game in reality, with survival aspects. It looks like they want to make it more like what the trailer shows, and less like what it is now in reality.