Importing a TF2 model into 3ds max?

Well, I’m having some trouble importing the spy’s butterfly knife into 3ds max. One of my friends says he uses milkshape to import and export most filetypes into 3ds max, is that what I should be doing? Also, looking in the GCF, I see vvds, vtxs, and one .mdl extension. The mdl is what I want, right? And last but not least, do I need to make a new .qc file if I want the same animations and stuff? Thanks.

Export all the vvds, vtxs, mdl files with the file name of what you want.
When exported, decompile it with mdldecompiler.
Use the smd importer/exporter to bring the .smd:s into 3ds max.

Use StudioCompiler to decompile models from the GCF i’ve had a much higher success rate with it than mdldecompiler (which generally just crashes).

I get an error: “Studio Compiler.exe - Entry Point Not Found”
“The procedure entry point Q_vsnprintf could not be located in the dynamic link library vstdlib.dll.”

StudioCompiler is in sourcesdk/bin too, not sourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin

yea move it from the sdk/bin to sdk/bin/ep1/bin, who told you to put it in the wrong place?

Now I get: “Can’t load C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps*******\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\filesystem_steam.dll”

Use this link to download it, it was removed for some people (including me) a few weeks back by a patch, I uploaded a fix incase anyone else had the problem. Put the filesystem_steam.dll in your sdk/bin/ep1/bin folder.

Now it says: "Extra App ID set to 211, but no SteamAppId.

Go in your garrysmod/garrysmod folder and open your gameinfo.txt file in Notepad or something. Change the bit that says “211” to “-211” and it will fix it. You will have to do this everytime you want to use the compiler/decompiler after playing GMod as the gameinfo.txt file regenerates to its original state. Or you could just use studiomdl instead, wherein you wont have this problem.

(I should bind this to a key I have to say it so much ¬.¬)

This is with studiocompiler, uh, same problem still.

This is with the ToolsAppID, right?

Yes, if changing the 211 to -211 doesn’t fix it, thats very strange as no-one has ever said it didn’t fix it before :S

Damnit, what is plan B then?