Information and discussion thread

My aim is to create a server that is welcoming for new players as well as experienced players. I feel that most RP servers either concentrate on Gameplay (running around and doing things) or Roleplay (creating a character and expanding their story). I want to establish a happy medium - something that will be fun to play as well as providing depth sufficient enough for a decent RP experience.

So far we have established these facts about the server;

[ul][li]It will be hosted in the US[/li][li]It will be running the Cakescript G3 gamemode[/li][li]Server will be Real Life Role Play.[/li][li]A unique job system with promotions and perks will be put in place to encourage continued gameplay as well as roleplay.[/li][li]Each job will have its own items that is unique to it[/li][li]An easy to install content pack will be available upon server release. Size of the content pack will depend upon how much custom content we use.[/li][li]This server will be a friendly one that accepts all kinds of RP[/li][li]Server will be up as fast as possible but will not be completely finished for another month or so[/li][/ul]

Discussion points;

[ul][li]Map rotation has not been decided as of yet.[/li][li]A strict set of rules will be set up.[/li][li]Server attitude will be semi serious RP. I want the server to be as simple and as easy to understand as possible. I want it to be rewarding to players who like to play and also players who like to roleplay*.[/li][li]Custom models are being discussed[/li][/ul]

*I find that some people are interested in gameplay and others are interested in wordplay. Some people may be interested in both. Generally, Gameplayers enjoy finding new weapons, gadgets and gameplay mechanics being introduced to them as they advance. Wordplayers enjoy finding new positions and opportunities to roleplay and are able to further their RP through it.

Please keep checking this thread for further details and feel free to share your opinions. I will update the thread title if new information becomes available.

Hi, I’m Nori. I’m the creator of CakeScript G3 and I’ll be the official scripter for the FP Roleplay server.

Who will be the admins? You obviously, but will other FP mods as well?

I love the Idea of a single Facepunch server. But what I do suggest is having a Server with more than 20 Slots. Having it stick to not having too much to handle and having to little. Slap it in between. Like a 30 Slot server. I’m also slightly confused when you say “This server will be a Friendly one that accepts all kinds of roleplay”.

I’m planning to have the gmod.com team as admins as well as people who can do useful things for the server

Why is that? I think 20 slots is generous - it is doubtful that they’re all going to be full and I don’t want to waste money buying a server that won’t get full use. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Start small and work our way up.

Not to mention that the server will probably struggle having more than 20 people running around on unoptimised maps as well as maybe driving around.

I’m available for doing useful things :3:

True. I just thought that having a Facepunch Roleplay server would attract more than the average of a 20 or so Player base.

Fack’in Ninja’d

sounds good

I’ve always liked the idea of something like this so I made it for you Hezzy :black101:

[lua]
– By Seth k?
– owner@diamondbuild.info

function kds( ply )
Msg("Saving kills for " … ply:Nick() … “(” … ply:Frags() … “)” … "
")
ply:SetPData(“SavedKills”, ply:Frags() … "
")
Msg("Saving deaths for " … ply:Nick() … “(” … ply:Deaths() … “)” … "
")
ply:SetPData(“SavedDeaths”, ply:Deaths() … "
")
end
hook.Add( “PlayerDisconnected”, “kds”, kds )

function getkillsdeaths( ply )
ply:SetFrags(ply:GetPData(“SavedKills”))
Msg("Restoring kills for " … ply:Nick() … “(” … ply:Frags() … “)” … "
")
ply:SetFrags(ply:GetPData(“SavedKills”))
ply:SetDeaths(ply:GetPData(“SavedDeaths”))
Msg("Restoring deaths for " … ply:Nick() … “(” … ply:Deaths() … “)” … "
“)
ply:ChatPrint(“Your kill count (” … ply:Frags() … “)” … " and your death count (” … ply:Deaths() … “) have been restored from your last session.”)
end
hook.Add( “PlayerInitialSpawn”, “getkillsdeaths”, getkillsdeaths )

concommand.Add(“setkills” , function(ply , cmd, args)
if !ply:IsSuperAdmin() then
ply:ChatPrint(“You do not have permission to do this.”)
elseif not args[1] then
ply:ChatPrint(“Please specify a player to set kills.”)
else
for k , t in ipairs(player.GetAll()) do
if string.find(string.lower(t:Nick()) , string.lower(args[1])) then
if tonumber(args[2]) == nil then
ply:ChatPrint(“That is not a valid number!”)
else
t:SetFrags(args[2])
t:SetPData(“SavedKills”, args[2])
ply:ChatPrint(t:Nick() … "'s kills set to " … args[2] … “.”)
end
end
end
end
end )

concommand.Add(“setdeaths” , function(ply , cmd, args)
if !ply:IsSuperAdmin() then
ply:ChatPrint(“You do not have permission to do this.”)
elseif not args[1] then
ply:ChatPrint(“Please specify a player to set deaths.”)
else
for k , t in ipairs(player.GetAll()) do
if string.find(string.lower(t:Nick()) , string.lower(args[1])) then
if tonumber(args[2]) == nil then
ply:ChatPrint(“That is not a valid number!”)
else
t:SetFrags(args[2])
t:SetPData(“SavedDeaths”, args[2])
ply:ChatPrint(t:Nick() … "'s deaths set to " … args[2] … “.”)
end
end
end
end
end )

[/lua]

Few suggestions for maps

Sounds a bit vague at the moment, is there a timeframe as to when the server will start being tested ?

Also, there shouldn’t be too many ‘custom content’, it just clogs up the game and takes ages to download which usually makes me ragequit :frowning:

I think the default HL2 models are fine for Roleplay to be honest. No need to for unnecessary downloads when all you need is already there.

[editline]10:12PM[/editline]

rp_oviscity_gmc4 and rp_amsterdamville are good.

[editline]10:13PM[/editline]

rp_downtown is a bit overused and boring.

[editline]10:13PM[/editline]

Townsville looks good though !

Cool.

[editline]02:14PM[/editline]

FastDL.

** DON’T USE RP_DOWNTOWN. **

CastleHill? If we were doing Medieval RP maybe (which would be cool I must say).

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=24529 :(?

You would think so, but I have hosted servers for much more popular things such as CSS and TF2 and even they weren’t full all the time.

What does this do? I can’t read code to save my life

Not sure when the server will be tested. I don’t want to try and estimate either - I need to wait until my student loan comes through so I can pay for the server. I also have to design the jobs and such from the ground up. On top of that, Nori has to code them into the game.

I agree. I do not want there to be a large amount of custom content - no more than 150MB (and that is really pushing it).

As for maps I need to download some and look through them, but my favourite map at the moment is rpw_downtown_v2. There are maps that I have played that I have enjoyed but I cannot remember what they are called. I will try and set up a map rotation for the end of this week.

yo hezzeh add me on MSN owner@diamondbuild.info
I’ll explain it to you…

Or you could just send it to me considering I’m the guy that does all the scripting. :3:

I think it’d be fun. Modern roleplay in a medieval setting

[editline]06:30PM[/editline]

I think 150 mb is a good number. With all luck it’ll be a bunch of regulars playing on the server together, which would mean a one time download and then it’s immediate entrance to the server. All the stuff added to the server could be posted in a sticky so you can download them via gmod.org rather than by connecting to the server.

Looks like it just tracks kills/ deaths, which for RP is the most useless thing imaginable.

:frowning:

it’s quite nice to have your KD count save