Ingame Map Builder

Hi, I only just started to catch back up on S&box’s development and I’m just curious if the in game mapping gamemode is still going to be a feature? I saw it back in 2017ish, but since the development switched to source 2 I can’t seem to find any info about it. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Matt from Facepunch is working on one right now!
Here’s a screenshot:

5 Likes

I agree that this feature was very interesting when S&Box was still on UE4, I’m really curious to see the final version!

1 Like

Are those saved as models or can you bake them into the actual map? Or is it something else?

1 Like

I think they would be Pre-Fabs which are basically mini parts of your map that you can load into other maps So you can just plug and play with houses in the hammer editor not sure if thats the case in-game though

1 Like

They are just generated meshes in the game, plan is to add an export to vmap option which takes all these primitives and turns them into the half edge meshes Hammer expects. That way you can block out a map with friends and add finishing touches in Hammer.

4 Likes

Now that sounds great. Do you think it might be possible to also get the tile mesh system ingame? Since they can be detailed on their own you could use them to create almost finished looking structures while in the game.

1 Like