Is it possible for source to load multiple maps

I just had an Idea about loading lets say a.bsp and b.bsp and c.bsp are loaded by source. then in console you could run a command to set what map to spawn on( sv_spawnmap ), Yeah it would take more memory(ram) but it could help solve the problem with map sizes. other things would have to be implemented like, when on map a.bsp the entity’s from map b.bsp and c.bsp aren’t loaded onto map a’s coordinates, heck I can think of a bunch of other issues with it but its just an idea for a confident developer out there.

Edit: Perhaps also add a limit to the amount of maps that can be loaded to the client, so that if the clients computer hasn’t got enough ram to run 4 maps then it loads 2 of the maps instead and if they try to go to the other maps then it deletes the other map that the player has not be on from the stack, and loads the map the player decided or was forced to go to.

As far as I know, no.
But I’m not source guru, so… who knows?

It can be done, but Source doesn’t do it.

And neither can Lua for that matter.

No, source can’t handle this… Most computers wouldn’t be able to handle it either.

Actually they would, it’s just Source isn’t designed to do it.

Well, most modern computers… My AMD Single Core wouldn’t, imagine having 3 gm_bigcitys running… My PC would just BSOD.

The client could possibly have a way of checking how much memory is available and if the client can’t handle that amount of maps it simply doesn’t load em.

My idea is the server would have all the maps loaded, the client only would have one loaded, and when it hit the coords of another map they would have to reconnect with some type of arguments to tell the server what map to load.

You could just have 3 servers?

The point of it is to not have 3 servers, and from my looking over the source code of the engine, it’s impossible without doing a huge modification.

It would eat up MORE memory on 1 server then on 3 servers.

Prop them! With the Propper! Of course the physics will be Jerky as hell, and alot of more shit. But you will have your maps.

Heh, nice - http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Propper

This is a lie, the 10 year old Quake 3 engine used by Jedi Academy had this; a server-side sandbox mod let the admins place maps/models/anything mappers can place inside the server live. misc_bsp was the entity, and if it worked for computers built for 7 year old games, I don’t see why Source couldn’t handle it.

Thats probably because you’re running a huge, entity heavy hap on a single core, no wonder its going to slow down when theres 2 of them. OP, no, you cannot load 2 BSP’s at once, the Source engine doesnt support it. Instancing is possible however, but thats as close as you’ll get.

But the only advantage would be no reconnection - multiple severs is the best viable option.

Not to mention, the server would be three times as likely to crash as before, because of extra ram allocation, the physics engine breaking, etc.

Look at how Gmod Tower does it.

[editline]05:10PM[/editline]

Because of the way the physics engine works, as everything originates from the origin of the map - three maps loaded at once without a threaded physics engine is impossible. I don’t remember Jedi Academy running Havok, do you?

if you’re hyped on running multiple maps, try out the udk.

ermmmm why?

unless your making map transitions around all the map edges so when a player goes to an edge they goto another map, etc. but why go to all this in gmod?
I mean gmod is a sandbox mod not a fps game like hl2 or something, one of the worst things that happened to gmod was DarkRP aside from E2. I understand people want to make their own stuff but really, a whole gamemode that could have just been a new source game? Kinda like making a TF2 or protal gamemode for gmod when there is already TF2 and portal on steam… pointless waste of coding hours…

Anyways for multiple maps at once, you are limited by the source engine here, but garry knows what it can and can’t do i assume. why not ask him.

I dont see why it wouldn’t load the maps, I mean the source engine for Mangos WOW servers load all the WOW maps on server boot (Alot more than 3 maps), its also multi threading too but it does load all of them. Not sure on RAM though, I know my wow server had 12GB ram and at times the usage would spike to like 40% but then again i had like 100+ players on it to at those times…
Gmod shouldn’t be much different, maybe more usage because of the physics…

As for clientside. the client would have to have the maps installed, if they dont then you would get a ton of serverside lag because of downloading unless you have a fastdl set up, just better if they have the maps already, the server passes info to tell the client to unload map A and load map B when the player hits a transition point (entryway). Also have it where i clients props remain on map “A” when they goto map “B” so they wont lose stuff, and also allow props to be carried from map “A” to map “B” intact, like a vehicle or spaceship or something and not fall apart or spazz out.

If player does not have map “B” then they cannot goto map “B” on your server or they redirect to map “C” if they have maps “A” and “C”. maybe a message appears on screen “You cannot go here, map not installed etc etc…” then transition messages “Going to map “B”” if not map “B” but has map “C” then - run the no map message and add - “Taking you to map “C””

All else fails you can just try it on a test server… You never know.
Mine you the test server may need to be something NON LAPTOP! and more server class rather than desktop class. meaning you might want to consider (as mentioned above) Single core CPU’s may not handle it, maybe an old HT but thats questionable. Even a core 2 duo or an AMD equivalent is questionable at this point…
Quad cores or Intel xeon or “i” series maybe they way to go on that.

Also idk if you want to put out alot of $$ on a gmod idea we don’t know will work or not lol

I agree with the other stuff you said, but this paragraph strikes me as a bit OTT

“but why go to all this in gmod?
I mean gmod is a sandbox mod not a fps game like hl2 or something”
Well it IS an FPS game, seeing as it’s first person and you can use guns to shoot. Sandbox is a gamemode for GMod, it’s not the whole point of the mod

“one of the worst things that happened to gmod was DarkRP aside from E2”
Some people enjoy roleplaying, what’s wrong with that? And E2 is there if people want to use it, nobody forces you to

“I understand people want to make their own stuff but really, a whole gamemode that could have just been a new source game?”
I don’t think you understand how difficult programming a good source mod really is. Making a gamemode is much simpler because garry has already provided us with everything it needs to run, you just add the custom bits.

“Kinda like making a TF2 or protal gamemode for gmod when there is already TF2 and portal on steam… pointless waste of coding hours…”
Believe it or not, some people code stuff for fun, and to challenge their skills. Sure we already have portal and TF2, but it’s a great challenge to remake these games as closely as possible inside of a source mod.

Those are just my opinion, I understand others feel differently. Not trying to start a flamewar or anything :slight_smile:

na its ok. maybe its just something i dont get.