Is it possible to get Source 2 for free?

Is there a way to get source 2 for free, i don’t want to buy Half Life Alyx; and SteamVR don’t have the same tools of HLA, is there any way to obtain it?

2 Likes

Uhm, there’s Dota 2… Most of Source 2’s tools are available as far as i know

2 Likes

Is possible to import the HLA tools?

1 Like

Mate it’s just 60 bucks, if you can’t afford that then you can’t afford S&box.

1 Like

You can use Dota but you wont be able to use HLA Resources. If you want them, but the game.

1 Like

That’s a very obnoxious and snobby statement. Firstly, I believe S&box will be quite a bit under $60 but that’s just my personal guess. Secondly, even if it was $60, buying HL:A would be $120 total then. For some people it’s not just ‘60 bucks’.

7 Likes

In the first S&Box (on Unreal) devblogs, Garry said the price will be very similar to Garry’s Mod.

1 Like

You fail to put into consideration the value that 60 USD carries in different economies. Lets compare it to my country, where 60 USD is approximately 327.20 BRL, which is equivalent to:

• A third of the mandated minimum monthly salary (which is not respected by a big part of the employers)
  • More than 1 months worth of groceries for 1 person
  • Aprox 15 Big Macs (as opposed to 10.6 in the US)

Bottom line is, some countries have both a smaller cost of living and smaller buying power, which is normally aggravated by stuff like prohibitively expensive import taxes for electronics (like VR Headsets or high end computer parts).

That’s not to say people here CANNOT buy games, but why spend a lot of money (comparatively more than you do) on a game we probably wont play, just to fuck around with tools that will also probably be superseded by whatever ships with S&Box? Why not just wait and buy S&Box instead and use whatever is free right now while we wait?

14 Likes

Well, i was actually going to say that.
Good thing i did not have to.

2 Likes

You can just use dota 2 / steamvr tools if you really want to use source 2 right now?

Nothing stopping you making levels in unreal and unity, many people do, and use that for a early access application. Or you can just wait for s&box.

1 Like

Except it costs 109 R$ in Brazil; which is roughly 20 USD instead. Your argument is invalid.

1 Like

You are right, but the argument stands, 110 BRL is still considerably high, and if you go back to minimum wage value, 110 BRL is roughly 10% of it

2 Likes

The problem with using Steam VR and Dota is that you won’t be able to use Model doc, and of course outdated tools in relation to what you are able to get in HL:A.

1 Like

Yeah don’t get any other Source 2 surrogate game, HL:A gives you the full development tools, every other game doesn’t give you the genuine source 2 experience.

2 Likes

Even then according to Garry, the tools he currently has shows that the HLA tools are actually out of date and missing a lot of content. Hopefully once sbox release we can finally have proper and full source 2 tools for everyone and not too expensive to afford.

2 Likes

We’ll be getting the full toolkit alongside s&box when it comes out, considering they’ve made their own modification to the tools already.

Buying hl:a for tools are for people who want the most up to date tools to play with early before s&box gets released. You will not need them.

3 Likes

my friend come to my class sessions in SOURCE 2 BUDGET Edition for tutorials in source 2

1 Like