Is unity a good place to practice C# for s&box?

In preparation for whenever S&box becomes public, I’d like to get in some experience with C# to (hopefully) let me get creating sooner. I know of the C# tutorials in the “Everything you might need to know” thread, but wondered if people would recommend C# in unity as well? What little I know of Lua I learned through experimenting in GMOD, so I’m assuming it’d be helpful to learn in a “game” environment.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Or is it better to just go ahead with the stuff linked in the other thread?

2 Likes

Yes. Unity is pretty solid to learn C#

1 Like

Learning Unity definitely won’t do any harm to your effort of learning in preparation to s&box. But it won’t be the exact same workflow.

This is just my personal observation but, it seems that the s&box API can be pretty fairly compared to the Garry’s Mod LUA API, but scaled up, refined, and in C# of course. So, I’d recommend people to make sure to familiarize themselves with the Garry’s Mod addon workflow first (if they aren’t already) and get that down before moving onto C#. Nothing too crazy like learning every single intricacy of Gmod, just get the core workflow down.

I’m betting that having that familiarity in API structure will be almost as important as knowing C# for those who want to hit the ground running.

2 Likes

I don’t think Unity will do much for you. Best option in my opinion is to just do some C# katas/coding challenges and keep an eye on Facepunch github for source code.

1 Like

unity has a different api and some thinks you might learn in unity will not apply to sandbox. But I think unity is a good start to learn to write efficient code and getting better at C#.

Thanks for the answers, I think I’ll start with the linked learning resources before moving over to unity when I have an alright grasp on the basics.

1 Like

Just learning more C# would help, of course like other people have said you’ll probably need to get accustomed to the specifics of s&box’s api when you do get your hands on it.

1 Like