It's been years - How do I start mapping again?

I haven’t used Hammer in so long and now I have no clue where to begin. I remember wanting to try again a while back, but Source SDK’s Hammer did not function properly. I just want to make some simple maps for Gmod - I’d really appreciate it if someone could tell me what I need to do. Please and thank you!

You could use Half-Life 2’s Hammer, it’s in steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\bin. Each game has its own Hammer and SDK now, instead of a launcher which is broken (sans custom configs for 2007 engine branch mods).

This is literally one of the most google-able questions of all time.

Alright, thanks! Only one other question - If I wanted to make it so the map can be run by anyone with GMod, is there anything special I need to do? Like only use certain textures?

But this is a fairly easy question that I’m asking the mapping community. I already googled and basically found out nothing - only a ton of conflicting info and errors. I wouldn’t have asked if Google had helped.

If you’re using Half Life 2/Episode 1/Episode 2 textures, and you have those games mounted in gmod, you shouldn’t run into any problems. You can even use custom textures as long as those are also in gmod (i’ve had custom textures/models that i moved over to HL2:Episode 2’s files, as well as gmod’s, so i don’t run into errors running the map in those two games)

Sweet, thanks a lot!