July 2022 - News - s&box

Holy shit are we getting it done!

Now the hard foundational work for the editor is done, we're really flying. It's so easy to create new editor windows, tools, utilities now.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://sbox.facepunch.com/news/july2022
3 Likes

I’m very surprised about the long-term goal to replace the physics engine but like you said well, it’s better to be self-sufficient than to depend on Valve’s willingness, very good job anyway, keep it up!

1 Like

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Woo another fantastic blog post, early too :heart:

1 Like

Love all the quality of life changes!!!

1 Like

poggers

1 Like

Good moves. Good moves.

1 Like

Very nice to see!
The new key system whilst unfair is a lot of fun, could use some ping compensation and anti-bot measures.

Well, other than that, each post is making me more and more interested and enthusiastic, lets just hope it runs on my device now : )
Bloody emojis not allowing text stuff.

1 Like

Finally! This fixed such an old and annoying issue through all the tools, whoever this “Matt” guy, he has his priorities straight!!

2 Likes

Incredible, great work

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

This updated website for getting new testers is ridiculous. How tf I can acquire s&box key when im competing with bots who grinding 24/7 for a guy that sells one key for 30 bucks?

1 Like

yes but they’d have to license the physics to havoc or other and it costs money

1 Like

keep going with the good work man!

1 Like

Hopefully gamemode-modifying addons come soon. I think that’s when addon development will really start to speed up, since those types of addons are more fun to make in general.

1 Like

Isn’t Rubikon a proprietary physics engine created by Valve and only for Source 2? I know that Garry’s Mod (and all the games using Source 1) uses VPhysics which was created by Havok but I thought they made their own engine for Source 2. I’m a bit disappointed if that’s the case, especially since Valve may have plenty of capacity to produce one.

1 Like

After working with Source 2 a bit I can say that it is a pretty crappy engine, even with your modifications. Better than Source 1, but it cannot even compare to UE3.

1 Like

They did make their own physics engine.

1 Like

amazing stuff it’s really coming together now! Would love to see a discussion about whether s&box would have Version releases, Giving developers the choice if they want to update their code instead of constantly chasing the dragon when it does reach beta / retail release, Pushing every 6 months like:

• Version 1.0
    6 Months later
  • Version 1.5 ect

Similar to how Minecraft handles things.

1 Like