Just bought RUST last week. I've been trying to get it to work since.

Hi guys, I’ve been watching RUST videos for ages and finally got the game when my work schedule cleared up a bit but now It doesn’t work. I’ll summarize my dilemma bellow.

Computer Specs
Nvidia GT240 updated drivers
Intel i5
4gb RAM
Windows 7

Problem: Rust loads until the loading screen with the title “client ready” in smaller font bellow the larger LOADING indicator and goes into a black screen before closing/crashing itself.

Attempted fixes
1.) Verify Game cache, restart steam
2.) Lower settings and select windowed mode
3.) Disabled anti-virus/allowed rust admin access
4.) Redownloaded the game
5.) Tried multiple servers

Cant help you, but maybe try this, download driver booster 2 (free version) and update all your drivers

I’m gonna take a wild swing and say that you don’t have enough ram to properly run rust. 4GB in today’s gaming world is a REALLY low amount, especially if you’re also running windows 7 or above. Maybe there’s something else going on, but you’ll definitely need to upgrade your RAM to play this game over any long period of time.

Try running in DX9 mode?

Try a smaller screen resolution?

When it crashes does it mention a crash report by any chance? If it does see if you can get a hold of it or upload it. Are there any other errors or indicators you may not have mentioned?

I would try updating or even completely reinstalling your graphics drivers being it seems you’ve tried everything else.

4 gigs? Sorry, no matter what work around you will not get the performance you desire with 4 gigs

[editline]2nd September 2015[/editline]

It might just be straight up running out of memory before it manages to load. I haven’t tried to run Rust on a 4GB machine since Legacy. It should be able to work though, as long as Windows has a paging file to swap to. I don’t think it will work very well though, last I checked Rust was using about 4.4GB of RAM on it’s own. If the official requirements for Rust are still 4GB of RAM, it needs to be changed because that is actual bullshit.

I managed to run Rust on 4GB for quite a while. It will run, but definitely not very well. I wasn’t able to launch Rust after I got my new PC until I got all my drivers fully updated.

yeah, unless you have the hdd space to have a massive paging file, you are going to have to look at upgrading your ram to at least 8gb. every OOM error i have read on this forum seems to stem from having 4gb of ram.

sorry mate:/

maybe they should update the system minimum requirements on steam then unless they mean run like potato:

MINIMUM:
Processor: 2 ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 3 ghz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

i would have minimum as 8bg ram though. and dx12 is not supported.

GT 240 is honestly way too low of a card

The game shouldnt just crash in the loading state. Hoever, your ram and graphics card might be outdated. I run it on 16 gigs ram with a geforce gtx 750. Still a little laggy on “fast” setting.

I think a GT 240 card is a bit more outdated than your making it seem…
His GPU has a petty 96 CUDA Cores, the recommended card, the GTX 980, has 2048…

If his computer even managed to render a frame, his 3 frames per hour would be an experience to remember…

[editline]3rd September 2015[/editline]

Get a cheap ass laptop and it will play Rust, I’m not even sure how you managed to watch YouTube with that GPU…