We Currently Have a Cetacean Shortage on Garry’s Mod:
Throughout my years of frequenting Garrysmod.com and GameBanana.com, I have yet to see any made attempt towards creating/porting a (nearly) realistic porpoise, whale, or dolphin model. Whenever I do find models based on real-life animals they are usually in the form of sharks; in the form of miscellaneous fishes, reptiles, birds (however seldom), and land mammals; and dinosaurs (quite lately a lot of those have been up for download). With the amount of oceanic chordates that are already available to us, why not introduce some marine mammals into the mix? With this said, I believe getting a killer whale onto Garry’s Mod would be a great start.
The Benefits of Porting/Creating an Killer Whale Model:
- Folks would no longer have to resort to creating Jaws-like scenarios that involve sharks going after people. Killer whales could fill in for sharks’ role of terrorizing. XD
- May be used for adding more variety to videos/images that have to do with underwater settings.
- Could be used for any application/purpose that’s either too stupid or too ingenious to list here.
What (Hopefully) Could be Done to Get Such a Model into GMod:
My best interest for getting a killer whale model into Garry’s Mod would be to rip one from another game - that is if one even does exist. This would be the best outcome for the situation. On the other hand, the worst-case scenario would be to create a customized model from the ground up (a choice that many of us - including myself - would rather avoid doing as much as possible).
Optional Consideration (in Case Customization Work is the Only Option):
For anyone who wishes to go the extra mile, we could make an attempt to create three variations of the model according to gender and age. For instance, one killer whale model would be rendered as an adult male while the other two would be composed as an adult female and a newborn calf respectively.
Essential Features that Should/Could be Incorporated into the Model(s):
- Good rigging and modeling
- Accurate skinning (in the event that a custom model must be made)
- Moveable pectoral, dorsal, and caudal fins
- Moveable jaw
- *Realistic scaling according to size and weight (as would be seen in the wild/captivity)
*Please view the illustration below for a better idea of what I mean. The comparison scaling would probably be best used with your average citizen character in-game.
An Illustration (Obviously):
- Adult male: 19 ft. - 22 ft.
- Adult female: 16 ft. - 19 ft.
- Newborn calf: 8.5 ft. (on average)
- Adult male: 8,000 lbs. - 12,000 lbs.
- Adult female: 6,000 lbs. - 8,000 lbs.
- Newborn calf: 300 lbs. - 400 lbs.
Again I must emphasis this: We do not have to create three separate killer whale models; it is not at all mandatory. I thought the idea of taking it on would be a nice bonus, but I would still be happy even if one model was made.