Kind of curious as to what the best way to weld is.

I’ve been playing Gmod for a few years, and over those few years, i’ve had so many contraptions that i’ve given up on because of shitty welding. I would like to know what is the best way to weld props together, and have the weld be the strongest (Weight settings, proper tool usage, etc etc.) I just find myself always having welds that are super floppy, and then changing the weights around in no specific order until it kind of stays okay, but still not satisfactory to me. Parenting isn’t an option.

If anyone wants to post how they normally get the strongest welds, that would be awesome.

Weighting properly, and keeping props that are closer in weight together gives the strongest welds.

I still recommend parenting for most of the stuff you do. You lose the inertia of the objects you parent, but it cuts down on server loads a great deal. If you want the physics box you can weld to a baseplate and then parent the object to the chip on your baseplate. It still removes the entity overhead, but creates events when the hulls collide with objects or the ground.

Welding, Parenting, or Welding and Parenting are really your only options for constraining contraptions that you use online, Polyweld and other similar tools that use the custom addon queryphys do not work properly, and are not safe to use in multiplayer.

Can you elaborate further on welding and parenting? I would like to parent, but the whole thing where they don’t have hitboxes is turning me off. And what do you mean the chip on my baseplate?

By “chip on your baseplate”, I’m pretty sure that he means to use Wiremod to add a chip on a heavy central prop, which you’ll build around.

There’s also Perma Poly Weld, if it still works.

Doesn’t even have to be a heavy central prop, necessarily. Just make a wire gate (some models don’t work with this trick, my suggestion is to use the wire/cheeze/cpu.mdl model)) on your central prop, and then weld each prop you want to weld-parent to the central prop. You then parent it to the chip.

Regular parenting (IE To a prop) removes the phys hull from the object, making it lose all constraints and also ignore traces. Wire parenting (IE Parenting to a wire chip) keeps the phys hull, and separates it from the actual visual model. Usually it falls to the floor where it “sleeps”. This means that constraints stay on wire parented objects, and it reduces entity traffic by a great deal. However when one of the hulls hits something, it creates about an equal amount of event traffic. This means that welds stay, nocollides stay, and other junk.

That’s the thing, though. Don’t fall into the trap of using smartconstraint or smartweld or nocollide-multi to grab your entire contraption for copies if you intend on parenting it. A lot of the time this isn’t necessary, and can be replaced by a simple parent, which doesn’t use constraints.

Normal Weld - For little things
Easy Weld - For roller coasters and other stuff like that
Smart Weld - For big things

What. No. Never.

We’re talking about stuff being stable for use online, the “rule of thumb” you just gave is horrible, awful advice.