Large map wont compile

So in the past, Ive seen large maps such as harbor2_ocean, gm_ocean, maps that are very large (taking up the whole grid in hammer).

Im trying my hands at making a larger scale map (for practice). Ive sealed my leaks, put in cheap water, lod control’s, ect. But my map will not compile.

I do not have to much experience with making large sea based maps so forgive me if this is a silly question.

Post the compile log

Maps wont compile if you’re too close to the end of the grid, try shrinking it so its atleast 1024 units away from the edge.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to ask you for your compile log.

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.vmf”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 8 2010)
8 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.vmf
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\gameinfo.txt
Patching WVT material: maps/rp_aqueas/nature/blendmudmud001a_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (1)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…
Merged 220 detail faces…done (0)
Merging details…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
HashVec: point outside valid range

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jun 8 2010)
8 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jun 8 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

8 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[48 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\rp_aqueas.bsp”

** Executing…
** Command: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steam.exe
** Parameters: -applaunch 420 -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\michaelxxx871\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” +map “rp_aqueas”

HashVec: point outside valid range

You have a brush too close or outside the grid, move it so its not. You should have atleast 512-1024 units away from the edge.

I’ve never understood why maps can’t use the whole grid, anyone got any answers?

Just did, and it compiled. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Something to do with the physics engine was what I’ve heard when I was little and easily impressionable. I’m more skeptical of this now however and just think it’s an unintended side effect of valves coding that they never had a problem with since none of their maps are that big and thus never bothered to fix. (The grid size can be easily increased in a mod with a handful of lines of code)

Alright, so now it compiled once, but I had some hints set up bad and it didnt render the whole map. So I had to get rid of the hints and now it freezes when compilng
It freezes here

-Placing detail props :0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7

Any idea of whats wrong? Or in general, any tips for optimizing a large map?

For optimizing
http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimization.php?chapter=intro

Read that already, I’m wondering if there’s anything in particular for large planar maps (even though the guide says there aren’t to many)

Planar?

Flatgrass x4 with water basically.

:bang: Another flatgrass.

Raise the lightmapscale on the grass, and water to something like 1024 and you should be good.

[editline]11:03PM[/editline]

Place a func_viscluster from the grass to the top of the skybox too. Since its flatgrass you are going to see everything whether you want to or not.

I’ll try that. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

And no, its not another flatgrass (sorry to disapoint). Its an ocean based RP map.