Laser Rifle - V2!

Some of you may know me; for those of you who don’t, a long time ago I released a Laser Rifle SWEP and was astonished at the number of downloads it received. Well, I’m back, with a bugfixed, fine-tuned version 2 of the SWEP, fully compatible with the latest Gmod update.

Functionally, the gun is pretty much the same. The Primary fire shoots a laser beam, complete with pretty effects and a custom sound. There are three settings, Setting 1, Setting 2… you get the point. Each setting is basically a multiplier for how much damage the laser does… and how much ammo it uses.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9205/lasset3.jpg

http://s3.garrysmod.org/img/dl/84506_1.jpg

Secondary fire is InfoVision™, which is basically a zoom scope that hinders your vision but tells you when you’re looking at something by making a little green “X” and feeding you vital information about your target. It will tell you its health, coordinates, and distance from you in meters.

http://s3.garrysmod.org/img/dl/84506_2.jpg

http://s3.garrysmod.org/img/dl/84506_3.jpg

You may be pleased to know it’s fully Goremod-friendly.

As for the changes, there’s more than you might think.
[ul][li]First and foremost, the amount of custom content has been reduced. This latest iteration is more multiplayer-friendly, so download times have been cut down. This means the weapon model is back to the good old AR2, and there is only one firing sound.
[/li][li]Secondly, the laser effect and damage is all achieved with Lua. util.BlastDamage is used instead of a point_hurt, meaning you’ll receive credit for kills and Zombies will still get blown in half and set on fire (yay!).
[/li][li]Recoil and spread has been removed, for realism’s sake. Consequently, this makes it more fun to use.
[/li][li]Higher settings now use more ammo.
[/li][li]InfoVision™ tweaked
[/li][li]And more![/ul]
[/li]
**INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (also included in the ZIP)

1. Remove any previous version of this SWEP, and all assorted content.**
  2. Open “Laserv2.zip”
  3. Copy “Laserv2” folder into your “addons” folder. This should be found in:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps<username>\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons
  4. Restart Garry’s Mod if it’s currently running.
  5. Enjoy!

HOW TO USE
Primary Fire: Fire phasers- lasers.
Primary + Use: Turn setting up.
Secondary Fire: Toggle InfoVision™ with zoom!
Secondary + Use: Turn setting down.

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=84506

I never liked this because of how laggy it was.

Your GUI could use some work (I can’t talk, but it’s kinda ugly).
Also it sucked with the SMod laser rifle, I’m glad you chagned it back to the AR2

That all said, I might dl it again.

It should be less laggy this time around, since it spawns much fewer entities per shot (the laser is lua-based now). I always sucked at GUI, but keep in mind those pictures are on lowest settings, and pretty low-quality too. In-game it all looks better.

Downloading now good sir.

Still getting some lag from the rings I’m guessing.
It’s alright, personally I don’t think util.blastdamage is a good idea, I hate setting zombies on fire, it’s laggy and not helpful.
The sounds are better, I like the simple pew rather than the old pewBZZZRRRTsss, decals are good.

Lag might be because of this:

WARNING: Broke possible Lua Effect infinite loop! Check your code!
Couldn't make effect 'laser_ring' - Too many Lua Effects (513)! Are you killing them properly?
Couldn't make effect 'laser_ring' - Too many Lua Effects (513)! Are you killing them properly?
WARNING: Broke possible Lua Effect infinite loop! Check your code!

That’s a console dump

WTF?! in the mine, no errors.
Great SWEP Ressurrection.

It makes a lot of effects each shot, so there’s going to be a little lag regardless. During testing, that did appear for me, but only after a long time firing it continuously. On settings 2 and 3, the ammo ran out before it even happened. Other people might have different results.

The reason that happens is because sometimes it lags and doesn’t kill the effects when it’s supposed to. They’ll still go away, but not before it creates way more than it should.

I stopped using point_hurt because it doesn’t give you credit for kills. The point_hurt I was using had the “explosion” damage type anyway, which is exactly the same as a util.BlastDamage, only much sloppier.

You could do it with a firebullets and then use the callback to make the effect (callbacks have trace info about each bullet)
Or you could hook the effect up directly as a tracer.

I did a similar thing with my ‘Slugger’ in my gamemode, it had a massive beam effect as a tracer and it shot an effect.
I did a tracehull to make it more like a railgun though (Q3 had huge hitboxes).

I remember you. And the Swep. Its good to see that you did something again.
Downloading. In my opinion you should add different modes, like making the beam create an explosion on impact with anything.

Holy Christ, it’s shs. I remember when you made the AR3, and everyone spammed up the thread with quotes… Downloaded right away, but I agree that it should have more firemodes. Maybe different types of beams, like the Automatic Turrets had, incendiary and explosive and stuff.

theres little incentive for switching from mode 3…it fires just as fast as the other two modes and does the most damage
perhaps you should tweak the gun so that mode 1 fires fast but weak while 3 fires slow but strong

I miss the old model, but I still love it anyway.

Sorry but what is that crap!?
http://s3.garrysmod.org/img/dl/84506_1.jpg

The laser start’s from the weapon’s origin?! Did you not even bother to offset it?

I believe the weapon recoils as you use it, making that happen?

Third-person view is always prone to misaligned effects and such, even on the default HL2 weapons, simply because Garry’s Mod is a first-person game. The effect is perfectly lined-up in the first-person view, as you can see, but it looks a little ugly in third-person, yes. Big deal.

I loved this Swep back in the pre 11 days, so you’ve got my download!

2 Words, Particle Effects. You should give them a shot instead of using lua effects. Much less Laggy, Just a suggestion, But other than that its good =3

I’ll look into it. I don’t think this will be the last version of this gun.