Laying Foundations - News - s&box

In all the time I worked on Source 1 I don't think I imported a model more than a couple of times. It was hard work. This is probably why GMod only has a handful of actual original models.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://sbox.facepunch.com/news/laying-foundations
17 Likes

It’s awesome to see how much progress you’ve made in little time. The content folders is a good way to structure addons, and the ease of use we’re able to change and even create cameras and player animations is legendary. Great work! :tada:

4 Likes

Very Exciting developments. Especially For one month :clinking_glasses: I Cant wait To see more fellow Sandbuckaroos !

6 Likes

The return of weekly blogs, exciting!

2 Likes

Cool little roundup of the months progress. Looking forward to more news and development.

Weekly blogs would be great as well.

4 Likes

With the new foundations being laid down and the new work flow for artists to bring their custom content in (animations, models) being much shorter, it’ll open a whole new medium for people to express themselves in.

Custom animations in Garry’s Mod were a thing, but it was so painful to work with them - Each model had (there are player-made solutions to that) to have them compiled in explicitly, but still, the whole effort of even getting an animation to work wasn’t worth it.

I am happy to see that S&Box will let us express ourselves even more so than ever before.
I think people are wrong to compare this to Garry’s Mod 2 - I think it is paving a great foundation for a new game PLATFORM, just like Roblox.

6 Likes

Very big fan of the blog posts! Great stuff :tada:

2 Likes

Nice to see some progress!
I’ve always seen Garry’s Mod as the ultimate game for modding, and S&Box will probably do an even better job at it.

Modding games has the advantage, that you don’t have to care about the engine, physics, tools, sometimes models, animations, and so on, so that you can primarily focus on coding the gameplay mechanics.
I can’t wait to use the Source 2 developer tools for S&Box (and to finally ditch Lua, with an even worse syntax than Python)

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are enjoying making the game, this is how the best games are made! Can’t wait to read more about it in future blogs and play it eventually of course :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Makes me really happy to see you having so much fun with this. I’m really excited about this project, it’s going to add some revolution in the Gmod community. GMod already opened so much new possibilities, but S&BOX is going to be something else, I can feel it !

Keep up the great work, weekly blogs would be dope too :tada:

3 Likes

Such good progress! and I am glad your having a really good time working on this project. Looking forward to reading more updates regarding sandbox. This is a really exciting time, besides lockdown etc this really brightens my day knowing that I have something forward to look to.

5 Likes

Dev blogs every week would be great, instead of 50 posts scattered throughout the day, one blog that covers everything

i really cant wait for this game, the progress yall have made is really astounding

4 Likes

This is only the beginning and it already looks so god damn promising. I really like where this is going.
I honestly can’t wait to play around with this!

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to this game. I truly believe it will be an amazing, well deserved, sequal to gmod. It looks very exciting :smiley:

3 Likes

Really happy to see that the development of this project is going well and the fact that Garry is enjoying working on it makes me being happy for this even more!

2 Likes

Great work so far garry!

1 Like

It’s only been a month since the last blog? Christ there’s been so much progress made in such a small amount of time it feels like it’s been at least twice that long.

Really refreshing to see Garry so excited about showing off progress, and with the forums getting up and running I can’t wait to see where we’ll be a month from now.

1 Like

Local British man makes me uncomfortably excited to see what the next devblog has in store for us.

Screenshot from 2020-11-26 14-41-38