This is not a tutorial of any kind but a showcase of what I’ve been working on right after finishing a module for University.
Just scroll right down the to bottom if you want current screenshots of the project or carry on reading for some poorly written back story
Due to S&box being…well S&box, I have been super excited for it for multiple years now and have been slowly in my time schedule just learning more about coding in C# and level design. Though due to University almost coming to an end for me I haven’t been able to work on any projects of any kind towards S&box, until recently!
As you know, S&box has been blowing up with development recently so i thought once i have time I’ll pop into the HLA tool set and learn it all from the ground up. I’ve fiddled around with Game Engines and so forth in my life time, messed with texturing, modelling, audio, level design, and so forth but I’m not expert, nor do i believe I’m good at any of it (Definitely after seeing some of work done here like damn guys well done!).
Though to me it is so exciting to learn something new, to be able to create from the ground up and then to see it come to life.
So this is where this begins!
I jumped right into Source 2 Hammer and just started scanning through maps and creating whatever I could think of. No images can be shown for this but I’m sure you know you can easily pop into maps from HLA and to inspect what Valve done within Hammer.
I knew from the start I wanted to make some form of Deathmatch map as it would be a great starting place and I loved the idea of having a blast with friends on a map that I’ve created.
(Same feeling as just creating a game and your friends wanting to play it and saying its fun once they do)
I quickly put together stairs from HLA (Quickly pieced together HLA assets to get my idea off the ground) and made a mirrored map that players can attack from multiple layers, which you’ll notice I like to do later down the line of this post.
Map at the time shown here;
Though upon using these assets, I realised that the stairs ruin movement definitely when sprinting, so I just quickly changed up the stairs to match my need as shown here;
Though a lazy fix, it worked perfectly.
Anyway who cares about that, the post is long enough anyway so I’ll just go towards the project I have going now.
Well, with the project I have going now, I decided to go with two layed Deathmatch map, but I also wanted it to be a lot more optimised than previous projects due to the fact I would like to get into the workflow of optimising along the way and not at the end.
Honestly yes, it looks trash I agree but wait. Around this time I was experimenting with scale, models, meshes and the rest of the tools and that is why it looks ugly with faces not even shown to the player and even in this screenshot as some are in the wall and so forth. I learnt from this fast.
Second screenshot just shows me creating the second level. Though as some may easily tell already. It just isn’t the way you should be doing it…so please don’t do the same, but It did give me an idea of just starting again with the new knowledge.
So from there I recreated it!
Looks way better right?. No hidden faces, mended in the places that needed it and light worked perfectly with it.
From there I was able to simply mirror it to the opposite side as planned though no screenshot for this part but you will see! Then created pathways to the upper floor to allow players no matter where they spawned to navigate the map evenly, then lit everything up! Though…ran into problems when it came to lighting.
Lighting would not look good (While running after it was built) with the Dev textures shown in the screenshots no matter what I did, it was blurry, sometimes in places it shouldn’t be, even if i baked lighting, cleared it and changed the build settings, It just wouldn’t change.
I was able to overcome that issue by simply texturing everything! I was going to anyway but with quickly testing with HLA materials. It just looked way better instantly! Now this is where I’ve reached within 1-3 days and this is how it looked currently today of this post.
Different angles for each screenshot. Its bare boned but the structure is there which is perfect!
I have tons of plans to fill out the space but I just wanted to throw this out in the wild to get some feedback / get reactions even if I believe it looks terrible compared to other peoples projects I’ve seen recently (like Damnnnn).
Anyway, I hope this wasn’t as poorly written as I believe it is…as its 4:44am while writing this part here, but thank you for reading and I’ll keep you updated in the replies if you are interested!