Learning lua - Where to start?

Hello, moving on in life, I’ve decided I want to actually do something useful, so I’m learning LUA and HTML. For lua, i want to start of with something not too complicated, but also useful. My idea is to make a HUD for DarkRP. I was thinking about using http://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wiki/wiki.garrysmod.com/index4ac3.html as my guide, but I saw it was outdated, and went to visit the official GMOD wiki. I couldn’t find a guide like the Maurtis.tv for a darkrp hud. Can anyone help me with where to find a valid/updated tutorial to make my own darkrp hud? Much help would be appreciated.

maurits.tv isn’t exactly that outdated

In my opinion HTML is allot easier than LUA. So I advise being more dedicated if you like to learning LUA. But don’t mean that you abandon HTML, because its very useful skill to have and is used very commonly among computer languages. I am picking up LUA as I go and am looking into my gamemode and adding things that I have been told will work if you do this or ask for help on the forums like I do and then put the code that you have been given in. After that you will get familiar with the odd bit of code. Then you can right little scripts yourself and thing “Well, when I asked for help on this I remember this code so I will use that in this and then this will happen”. Even if you still can’t get it to work in the end you tried and if it didn’t work first time… Add things and remove things and then it will work.

Some people say they learnt how to code LUA by coding C++. They say its very similar to LUA. Try it out see what method I have put down you think you like.

You won’t learn a whole lot if you jump straight in and start modifying already written code in quite an in-depth gamemode from a tutorial.
Start by learning the fundamentals of programming, such as what variables are, creating functions, etc.

Maurits.tv isn’t so outdated that all the tutorials on there are useless.
Looking here is not a bad place to start if you really want to begin from scratch.

Best of luck.

Here are some resources which may help you:

The Lua manual, this will definitely help you get started!

The New Garry’s Mod Wiki, has a ton of information, how to use the function calls, how to integrate vgui elements, and more!

Not everything is on the new Garry’s Mod Wiki yet, if it’s not there, it’s here. There is a lot of things that has changed since Garry’s Mod 12, to Garry’s Mod 13. This is primarily for 12.
http://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wik...index4875.html

One of the best places to start, if by modifying TTT. Start by changing the sweps, more realistic fire-rates, balance the damage, add a feature which changes the cone based on if you’re moving, firing from the hip, aiming down the sights, crouching, holding the walk button, etc etc. Start small, start by doing simple things and work your way up!