Left 4 Dead 1/2 Models in Episode 2

I was told to ask this question here, so don’t flame me if it’s the wrong section.

I want to use some of Left 4 Dead 1 and/or 2’s nice modern models in a map I’m making in the Episode 2 Hammer. But, I have absolutely no idea what to do, if it’s even possible. So I was hoping that you guys would be able to help me out. Thanks!

It’s possible, but you can’t ship them with your map due to legal issues, and if the user were to extract them themselves, they’d have to go through the whole process of converting them.

So the only simple way to make this map would be make it in the Left 4 Dead 2 SDK?

No, because
a) It wouldn’t be fully compatible with Ep2 if it were compiled for the L4D2 version of Source.
b) The Materials, models, etc. won’t be compiled with the map, those are all loaded externally
c) The L4D2 sdk lacks most of the Ep2 entities
d) Episode 2 also lacks most shaders L4D2 uses

And there’s also the legality issue; you can’t guarantee that the people playing your map own L4D2, so you can’t distribute them for use in another game.

Sorry, my bad, I’m only making the map for the fun of it, so I might as well try out Left 4 Dead mapping since I never have before. Just disregard this thread.

I’m surprised no one converted zoey or rochelle for alyx yet.

You can try to embed the models in the map. As far I know nobody will do anything if you do it that way. The guys behind I Hate Mountains for instance embedded loads of ep2 models.

Does that mean you could use Alien Swarm models as it’s freely available?

As long as they can get the content for free (legally) you can do what you want with it.

Using GCFScape, extract the L4D/2 models and materials into your half life 2 episode 2/ep2/models and materials folder (create them if they’re not there already) then download the .vtx fixer (here), place it in your models folder (assuming you only have L4D/2 models in your models folder) and double click it.

[editline]01:49PM[/editline]

I haven’t tried it, but this should also work for Alien Swarm but I assume a lot of those models are relatively low poly as it’s a TPS.

[editline]01:50PM[/editline]

If you have other cusrom models you have to extract the models into a different folder, run the .vtx fixer, then copy all those models into your models folder.