Lets discuss how to make houses untrollable.

Ok, so a big problem with this game, and a problem that this latest update did not fix, was the ability to troll a persons house. So here is my theory on a way to fix it. PLEASE try to find holes and flaws with it so I can keep thinking about this issue…

So here we go;

Foundations are the key here. Basically, when you put down a foundation, and place a door on top of that foundation, you become the ‘owner’ of the foundation. Only the owner is capable of building on that foundation, EXCEPT FOR DOORS, anyone can build a door on a empty doorway. If you have a multiple-story building, the person has to control every door that is built on that base foundation in order to become the ‘owner’ of it.

Now, another thing, you can ONLY build foundations next to another foundation if YOUR the owner of that foundation. This way, people can not build right next to your house, or build a staircase right next to your house in order to reach your roof.

Edit: Ok so, if theirs a foundation with no doors, the question is who owns it…imo make the person who placed it be the owner, however if a door gets put on, the ownership changes to that person.

So whats the problem ?
Trolling someone in a house is bad you say?

I personally can’t see it has an issue…

So you dont like Raiding? i see…:quagmire:

Not trolling someone in a house, TROLLING their actual house. Doing things like placing a foundation in front of their door, putting 3 walls and a ceiling. And since walls take FOREVER to break now, the owner gets screwed. And the troll can take it even further by putting down more foundations and more layers of walls…essientally making that house impossible to enter…and thus, making it unusuable. Trolls win by simply placing down a couple of foundations and walls+ceilings. Theirs also a bunch of other ways to troll that I can post later.

[editline]13th July 2013[/editline]

You are misunderstanding what I say by trolling. I don’t want to limit a persons ability to break down doors/walls. I want to remove their ability to ADD objects (not doors) DIRECTLY on top of a persons existing house, making that house not enterable/exitable.

that’s all part of the game

you shouldn’t limit the freedom of players to place buildings where you like just because you can’t be assed to keep people away yourself

this is a survival game where the main focus is survival, not building a house. if you aren’t able to keep people from fucking up your house yourself, then that’s your own damn problem

If that is the case, than a global inventory is needed…otherwise this game will not be enjoyable for any sort of long-term experience. At the moment, the only way to save your loot is by keeping it in a secured house. That sort of security involves lots of time/effort to create. And for a person to be capable of literally spending 10 minutes to COMPLETELY negate everything you have done up until that point in the game…yeah…pretty screwed up if you ask me.

that’s because it’s a god damn survival game where the point is to survive

one person fucking up everything you’ve done is all part of the game

think of it as pvp minecraft

[quote=“zFugitive, post:4, topic:130797”]

Not trolling someone in a house, TROLLING their actual house. Doing things like placing a foundation in front of their door, putting 3 walls and a ceiling. And since walls take FOREVER to break now, the owner gets screwed. And the troll can take it even further by putting down more foundations and more layers of walls…essientally making that house impossible to enter…and thus, making it unusuable. Trolls win by simply placing down a couple of foundations and walls+ceilings. Theirs also a bunch of other ways to troll that I can post later.

I guess if it becomes an issue the mods will be sure to fix things like blocking someone in their own house with a piece of building equipment etc…

But as i don’t have the game it’s a tough thing to comment on…

Never played minecraft, but what I’m trying to say is that a big portion of this game whether you like it or not is building a house to defend or raid other peoples houses. That is sort of the big draw at the moment, it’s what makes this game unique.

Not sure how you can really say 1 person fucking up everything you have done is part of the game…

Try to think about it like this. It’s not a person that you are having direct contact with ruining your gameplay. It’s all about indirect contact. Say your off playing the game, you spend a few days gathering materials, built yourself a little house, constantly bringing materials back to your house, killing people for their materials and bringing it back to your house etc… You eventually build up a pretty nice house, with lots of security so people have to break numerous doors to get through (and now walls apparently).

Now you leave your house for 10 minutes, and some kid runs by your house, places a foundation at each of your entrances, completely blocks off your house with walls and ceilings so you cant enter/exit. You come back to your house, and now your screwed. Your choices are A, rebuild (which eventually becomes pointless b/c the same thing can just happen again), or B, quit.

They could just incorporate a global inventory, but that would essentially negate the entire purpose of building houses…but it would allow people to play the game long-term.

The only thing I don’t like about houses being breakable is because what are you going to do when you log off? That’s my only complaint, if I was actually able to do anything about it, I wouldn’t complain. If someone can just smash down my door or wall while I’m at work or sleeping or going out and doing something, I feel like I just got bent over and got butt fucked. I mean, yes, that’s kind of a tactic, waiting for someone to leave then breaking their hours of work with some well placed charges and grenades. But it’s still shitty because you can’t do a single damn thing about it. Like zFugitive said, long-term game play would be pointless. I don’t know what Garry, Pat or the other devs are going to do with the game, but I’m sure with plenty of past experience, they’ll do what’s right.

or for those who are too lazy to read ‘all that text’:
I hope your house doesn’t get smashed to it’s skeleton form while you’re not logged in.

Nooooo, That’s not what i’m talking about. I’m all for being able to break doors.

My issue has NOTHING to do with people being able to break things…it’s about being able to BUILD DIRECTLY on top of existing things that you have not placed.

if someone puts a foundation next to the door, then they put a foundation next to your door, and you have to deal with that

you shouldn’t limit where people place things because you don’t want some kids to get mad that someone decided to fuck up their day

[quote=“ZSurvivalist, post:10, topic:130797”]

The only thing I don’t like about houses being breakable is because what are you going to do when you log off? That’s my only complaint, if I was actually able to do anything about it, I wouldn’t complain. If someone can just smash down my door or wall while I’m at work or sleeping or going out and doing something, I feel like I just got bent over and got butt fucked. I mean, yes, that’s kind of a tactic, waiting for someone to leave then breaking their hours of work with some well placed charges and grenades. But it’s still shitty because you can’t do a single damn thing about it. Like zFugitive said, long-term game play would be pointless. I don’t know what Garry, Pat or the other devs are going to do with the game, but I’m sure with plenty of past experience, they’ll do what’s right.

or for those who are too lazy to read ‘all that text’:
I hope your house doesn’t get smashed to it’s skeleton form while you’re not logged in.[/QUOTE

I too was afraid of working on a house for 6 hours, getting all this neat gear and losing it to looters as soon as you log off,

Yeah I know, I’m just throwing my two cents in with the rest of my tip. I do understand that people building shit all over your house is bull. Especially since it can happen in 10 seconds.

Yeah, I guess all you can do is log out with as much as you can hold and hope you’re house is sacked to all hell when you come back.

It already is an issue with the game. I watch a streamer named Summit1g play the game, and he started like 4 days ago, and has already had to rebuild his house 3 times do to people trolling him. Mind you, he was successfully raided 0 times. It’s all due to people being able to build directly next to / on top of his buildings.

Ok, well if that is the direction that you believe they should take the game…allowing 1 troll to essientally ruin the gameplay of everybody on his server…fine. I can’t argue that point with you as it’s pointless…

What I can say is this, people will NOT play the game long-term if this issue does not get solved.

I’m taking this from another thread you wrote in. Here is the problem with this logic. It’s not an ability to defend the house. It’s that the house becomes UNUSABLE. All entrances to your house have the ability to become walled up. Meaning it is not an issue of a person raiding you, breaking your doors/walls down, and taking all your loot. That would be a legitimate way to LOSE in this game.

I’m talking about a person TROLLING you. Walking up to your house, regardless of if you are at the house or not, putting down a few pieces INSTANTLY, and then walking away. In no part of this was ‘defending’ an option.

zFugitive

There is no point in talking to the people on here, they do not know how to talk or even spell correctly most of the time. The very trolls you are talking about will do nothing but troll here also.

The days of a really “forum community” are over I fear.

i can tell you haven’t been here long because the only people who are ruining this community are the kind of people who came to facepunch to play this game

Yeah, that’s my only problem with building a base in this game now that walls are destroyable. There’s nothing you can do to protect it if you aren’t online.

that’s the point of having destructible walls

And that’s bad. Shut off the PC and look around. Ppl are working 8h a day or like you going to school. What the point of playing a game if you cant make a save spot when youre offline?