Level streaming

Is there information when level streaming will be added to the game and is work underway on it?

2 Likes

I was told that the models start to break down after 2km. This can be changed using level streaming or floating point.

1 Like

They fixed that, and level streaming has been fully implemented with ease, infinite procedurally generated maps have already been tried as well as a map as big as the actual earth with millions of objects, all work flawlessly and we can expect some more optimization in the future as currently, they want to reach 120 FPS when they disable render range on the earth map.

1 Like

I’ve been told that level streaming hasn’t been officially shown, and I’ve been told by friends who have a key that character models or other objects, transport, etc., start flattening, twitching, or other scary things after 2km.

1 Like

Who said any of this…? None of it is true haha

3 Likes

Do you have a source backing that up?

3 Likes

You made the claim so you should really be the one providing a source here, but sure.

I work for Facepunch and I made Towns - a gamemode with an infinite procedurally generated world. None of this functionality is built into S&box and is implemented within the gamemode and its custom server. Including the floating world origin (which I haven’t turned on due to it making you fall through the world right now). Can’t really say what will or will not be added eventually but that definitely isn’t right now.

5 Likes

Should we expect level streaming to appear on release? And will the floating one be exhausted? Should we expect level streaming to appear on release? And will the floating point ( Floating point) be resolved, So that models, transport, clothes, and so on do not shake and break after 2km?

1 Like

gonna be honest, i am with grod on this one.

3 Likes

Wtf

1 Like

What do you mean by level streaming? Automatically loading in sections of a large map you built in Hammer - not sure if that’s even existing behavior in Source. Loading in additional (separate) maps piece by piece - maybe?

Buggy graphics/physics will always happen at some (varying) distance from the origin. I doubt this one will change because it’d need us to change from float32 to float64 everywhere which will be slower, use more memory, etc… You can get more usable areas on a map by scaling everything down since Source units waste a lot of float32 precision.

I doubt floating world origin will ever be a built-in thing. You can’t really have a floating origin on the server and the server is using float32 coordinates anyway.

1 Like

Smh my head, it was better when I told B3LY everything was working wonderfully, now he’ll ping random people again asking if level streaming is going to be a thing!

1 Like

What are the ways if I want to make a server with 500-1000 players on the map, the map will be large, what to do so that there is no shaking of models, transport and other objects on the map, what should such people do who want to do something big? Maybe of course on release the developers will do something, I know that level streaming will be on release, I asked @Grodbert, @Gvarados and @ubre

1 Like

Harry in one of the devlogs, said that we can play on a server with 500 or more players, if you write your netcode, but he did not say what to do mod community if after 2km of the map, player, transport, clothes and so on begins to break, bug, etc., what to do with it? One way is level streaming, which should appear on the release of the game.

1 Like

Here’s what Laylad said on discord, which should able to answer your question :slight_smile:

1 Like

So in the future this will be fixed and there will be no problems with large cards and players?

1 Like

If you want to support 500+ players I’m sure you’d realistically need to write your own netcode instead of what’s built in. This means you can also write your own level streaming and floating origin too, like I did in Towns.

1 Like

So I can make a big map myself with a large number of players, and so that the server does not have a real nightmare in the form of lying clothes, characters, transport and so on?

1 Like

If you implement a floating world origin then yes you would be able to avoid those issues and have gigantic maps.

1 Like

But still, can you say something about level streaming? As I understand it, the modding community can make it itself, but will it be officially in s&box? Layla said he was working on it, but there was no new information.

1 Like