lighting

hey guys i think this may b a question asked a few times over but i cant seem to find a solution.

using hammer i have created a nice map i am happy with for school but am having trouble with lighting…

i have my environment light set and all good but my spot lights for inside my buildings will not work. they just stay off. but if i remove my eniro light they work fine but the rest of my scene is dark.
i am no wiring switches to my lights yet i just want them to work.

for a dynamic_light or a light_spotlight do i need to set anything up for them to work once i have placed them in the map or should they just go bing and work?

any aid would be great!

they should just work - ideal lighting is a light prop, with a light_spotlight and a very dim light

Does your map have any leaks?

Questions go in the question mega thread(s).

Raise the brightness of your light_spots.

light_dynamic is only for dynamic lighting, it doesn’t cast dynamic shadows just so you know.

ok thanx.

sorry about posting in wrong spot.

im new to all this i have a lot of experience in 3ds max and maya but not map editors.

what do you mean by leaks? in the skybox or what?

Post the compile log.

ok had a fiddle and all good.

what i am after is i have modeled some nice small roof lights wich i have imported and in place. the light i want to come from the i do want to b very directional and come from a small source point.
can i change all that sort of thing using a light and/or spot light i had a look over the different control option but couldnt really work it out.

thanx for the help

I can’t understand you too well.

What are you asking?

ok sorry.

the issue i was having was i would not test the map with the lighting because when i added the lights and previewed scene in camera view with lighting it would just go black and all i could see was tiny bits of light coming from the spots and no environment light.

but as soon as i tested it in gmod it was fine…

what would be the best setting in hammer to test out light and how the final scene will look with out running t he map and going to gmod?

the other thing i want to do is chance the size of the source point of the lights. i have props of lights that i made myself which i have changed to a .mod file and imported them as a static prop then i just placed them where i want the lights to be.

i like the light effect i get from the basic light and not the spot but you know how there is the big white spread when you have it close to a roof or wall.i want to reduce the size of that.

Set the view port to lighting preview then the ray trace preview. It will take a while to load.

You can use a mix of light and light_spot

For the light entity you should probably change the initial intensity of the light by changing the last value of brightness from 200 to pike 100 or so.

ok great thanx.

i had a bit of an issue when i went to create my 3d skybox. the file crashed and i had to restart then use a back up autosave which saved exactly when i needed it to but not im having a problem running the map…

here is was it comes up with

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\counter-strike source\cstrike” “H:\hl2officemap\studiov109.vmf”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 7 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials
Loading H:\hl2officemap\studiov109.vmf
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\counter-strike source\cstrike\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
Material glass/glasswindowbreak070b is depending on itself through materialvar $crackmaterial! Ignoring…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Error! Entity sky_camera in solid volume! at 398.8 31.3 -2712.5

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\counter-strike source\cstrike” -fast “H:\hl2officemap\studiov109”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 7 2010)
fastvis = true
2 threads
reading h:\hl2officemap\studiov109.bsp
Error opening h:\hl2officemap\studiov109.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\counter-strike source\cstrike” “H:\hl2officemap\studiov109”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[1 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading h:\hl2officemap\studiov109.bsp
Error opening h:\hl2officemap\studiov109.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “H:\hl2officemap\studiov109.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cabley123\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps\studiov109.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”

when it errors it says “command failed, cant find file continue y/n”.
if you click yes nothing happens

can i get any help with this one?

Error! Entity sky_camera in solid volume! at 398.8 31.3 -2712.5

You have the sky_camera inside of a brush. Take it out.

Also, don’t compile with fast unless you are testing.

thanx man!

i think its gonna take me a while to get my head around all this stuff…

Here are some sites to help you.
http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/
http://www.halfwit-2.com
http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimization.php?chapter=intro