Linux experimental branch has no servers "Need Steam to refresh servers!"

I had both Facepunch Studios and Facepunch Studios LTD. The LTD folder was older, so I ignored it.

For anyone moving, copying, and/or linking to launch 64 bit rust on steam, you can instead set the launch options for rust within steam to:

%command%_64

So the overall issue seems simple:
libsteam_api.so is 64 bit, libSteamNative.so in x86_64 is 32 bit (I know other people in this thread found this first, I am just confirming). That explains why it won’t work. When using 32 bit rust, libsteam_api.so is not compatible. When using 64 bit rust, libSteamNative.so is not compatible. This is probably a relatively quick fix for Facepunch, possibly just need to adjust some build scripts.

Sounds simple enough. Now to wait for Garry to investigate further. Maybe we’ll finally get to play with experimental in Linux soon. Or at least be one step closer to it :slight_smile:

I posted this in the bug reports forum just before the responses started coming in. I’ve done some poking around as well and I’m anxiously waiting to see when this will be fixed.

I’ll get on this today

A bit disappointed that the person who just summed up what I found got all the recognition… Good news that it’s being worked on though.

I threw some new x64 dlls on, let me know if it’s any better

Did a fresh install of Rust experimental via Steam. Still unable to refresh servers. Linking Portal 2 libsteam_api.so helps but the game still crashes on connect.

Still no servers.

libsteam_api.so is still 64-bit without alternatives. libSteamNative.so has proper versions now but without appropriate libsteam_api.so it’s a no go anyway.

Rust 64 bit shows servers now. Because my internet is not the greatest, I cannot test further at the moment. I will test 32 bit in a minute, but I don’t think it will work since libsteam_api.so is still only found in 64 bit, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Just confirmed that 32 bit has the same symptoms as before. Which I don’t mind so much because everyone with the capable hardware should probably use 64 bit anyway…but it should still be fixed.

Also, I never wanted to make it seem like I am trying to steal the show from rkfg. We had the same conclusions and (s)he deserves credit too.

64-bit version now shows the server but crashes on connect. 32-bit version doesn’t show anything as it was before. Here’s the log, it’s too huge to post as plaintext: http://www.mediafire.com/download/npblw077178n579/player.7z I symlinked the 64-bit binary to rust.x86.

When running as 64bit I also get some servers on the list. It says it finds 5 servers but only 1 shows up under the Community tab and 4 under History (these may be the servers that I logged into on the production branch?). Hitting refresh gets it stuck again where no servers show up at all. If I try to log into any of the 5 listed servers, the game crashes.

Strangely I have the same error than you on Ubuntu 12.04 32bits and Ubuntu 14.04 64bits

I also get those messages several times (on 64bits):

Fallback handler could not load library /home/xavier/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/rust/rust_Data/Mono/x86_64/CoherentUI_Native
Fallback handler could not load library /home/xavier/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/rust/rust_Data/Mono/x86_64/libCoherentUI_Native.so

Those seem to be common since the build is still broken. If I understand the traceback right, it has an over the top level recursion, so that may be the culprit. The game overflows the stack and then crashes.

I am surprised that you don’t get the same error on 64 bits

I am also running 64 bit Arch Linux and both 32 and 64 versions of Rust are crashing with same errors for me. Here is my Player.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61ho1skegkkjzid/Player.7z

It does the same whether I start rust manually or through Steam, with or without STEAM_RUNTIME disabled.

Edit: I should mention that after one of the updates today the 64-bit version ran and displayed the server list but crashed upon trying to connect. The next update broke everything.

Wow, wow, wow. The game crashes now when the white screen appears (core dumped)

I don’t know if this is somebody else’s case but now (after the last update) I can pass the white screen crash yet it freezes when the background (the trees in the night) shows up. I am waiting for the menu but nothing. The CPU is at 32% and the used memory is the same. Also, I see that rust.x86 is started when clicking PLAY in Steam, when my computer has 64-bits architecture. Anyway, no matter which of them I click and even with the lowest settings it still hangs at the ‘after-white screen’ step. No error in the console. The errors.html is this:

DllNotFoundException: CoherentUI_Native

Coherent.UI.CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE+SWIGExceptionHelper..cctor ()
Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for SWIGExceptionHelper
Coherent.UI.CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE..cctor ()
Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Coherent.UI.CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE
Coherent.UI.MouseEventData..ctor ()
CoherentUISystem..ctor ()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

BaseHTMLComponent.Start ()

I think it is related to the new HTML UI, sounds like they are having issues with it on Mac, too: https://trello.com/c/hS0dEGpb

Edit: I can confirm same errors in errors.html. Steam reports binary missing but when launching the ‘rust’ binary it passes the white screen and crashes on loading the background.

Updated Player.log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1289622/Player.7z
errors.html: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1289622/errors.html

Same here. Also, the launch config is broken, the binary is now named “rust” (without the arch suffix, and it’s 64-bit) and Steam possibly tries to run rust.x86 so I made a symlink. By default I get “missing executable”. Log contains this in the end:

at BaseHTMLComponent.Trigger (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConsoleHTML.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: 4294967295)

at BaseHTMLComponent.Trigger (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConsoleHTML.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: 4294967295)