Linux users, does the game work for you at the minute?

Not even talking about FPS issues, just actually being able to launch the game. Wondering if I’m alone in it not working past the unity launcher.

I am able to play. Dev branch.

Linux Mint 17

I wonder what the hell the issue is with my machine then. Mint 17 here too.

Ubuntu 15.04 here and running Dev branch no problem. It does take a really long time to get to the main menu but once there it seems normal.

I don’t know what you guys are doing different to me…wish I had an inkling what to do.

Sorry i wasn’t able to test sooner. I tried several things to reproduce, but I am still unable.

I do notice one major difference between our systems is you have an X-Box controller, and it is failing after assigning the joystick…

Maybe try removing the X-Box controller configuration and see if that is possibly causing the crash?

[editline]23rd July 2015[/editline]

There also was a similar issue about a year ago, not sure if it is possibly related?

There were .so files misplaced in the Plugins folder, rather than the x86_64 folder
The Plugins folder is no longer in the Rust folder, but has moved to the rust_Data folder. Can you verify you have the following filed located in the x86_64 folder?

…/Rust/rust_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libCSteamworks.so
…/Rust/rust_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libeac_server.so
…/Rust/rust_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libeasyanticheat.so
…/Rust/rust_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libRustNative.so
…/Rust/rust_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libsteam_api.so
…/Rust/rust_Data/Plugins/x86_64/ScreenSelector.so

Stop creating this crap!
I can’t even count how many “linux doesn’t work” threads you have made now…
Just get windows!

(User was banned for this post ("This reply isn't helpful" - verynicelady))

Can you chill? This is different thread - he is asking for other linux players to tell if they are having the same issue. You don’t have to care about one thread.

IDC its too much! everyone else just makes ONE thread…
He needs to get windows and shut up! He is just a cheapskate that can’t be bothered to buy an OS and then blames others when that does work out!

Lol, such rage. Maybe just ignore these threads if they rile you so.

It would be nice if the Unity/Rust devs could at least include error messages/logs that are helpful in such situations. Maybe then there’d be little need for these threads.

BTW the Windows client is hardly stellar at the moment. For many people, it causes their PC to become unresponsive when quitting Rust, requiring a hard reset. A number of us have been unwilling to play for weeks now as a result.

Anyway, keep raging pointlessly. Your tears truly nourish my soul :poot:

At least if he wants he can actually play then, and the people getting that crash seem to be the minority.

I get better performance in Garry’s Mod on Linux then I do Windows,so I’d really rather not.

[editline]24th July 2015[/editline]

You’re pretty much saying spend £50 on a temporary fix which will likely have a permanent solution eventually, seeing as the game is in Early Access.

[editline]24th July 2015[/editline]

The game is available for Linux, he shouldn’t have to use Windows.

If someone was complaining that the game doesn’t run in Wine, you’d have a point.

Linux is still a poor excuse for not wanting to pay for an OS whether it’s supported or not.

Sure, that’s why Valve chose it for SteamOS.

Windows is a poor excuse for a paid OS, whether it’s supported or not.

All files are there…I noticed in the directory above, there was also another copy of ScreenSelector.so, and only that. I copied the rest of those plugins into the same directory just in case it helped, but no dice. Also tried unplugging the gamepad…again no change. Only thing that is different is you don’t get the gamepad message.

However, it did make me take a closer look at the output.

./rust
Set current directory to /steam_games/SteamApps/common/Rust
Found path: /steam_games/SteamApps/common/Rust/rust
Mono path[0] = '/steam_games/SteamApps/common/Rust/rust_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/steam_games/SteamApps/common/Rust/rust_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/steam_games/SteamApps/common/Rust/rust_Data/Mono/etc'
PlayerConnection initialized from /steam_games/SteamApps/common/Rust/rust_Data (debug = 0)
PlayerConnection initialized network socket : 0.0.0.0 55481
Multi-casting "[IP] 192.168.1.121 [Port] 55481 [Flags] 3 [Guid] 1623540800 [EditorId] 2186356822 [Version] 1048832 [Id] LinuxPlayer(192.168.1.121) [Debug] 1" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...
Waiting for connection from host on [192.168.1.121:55481]...
Timed out. Continuing without host connection.
Using monoOptions --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,embedding=1,defer=y,address=0.0.0.0:56800
PlayerConnection already initialized - listening to [192.168.1.121:55481]
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.4
client has 4 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(VGA-0): 1360 x 768
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Aborted

I think the two things to look out for here are

Multi-casting "[IP] 192.168.1.121 [Port] 55481 [Flags] 3 [Guid] 1623540800 [EditorId] 2186356822 [Version] 1048832 [Id] LinuxPlayer(192.168.1.121) [Debug] 1" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...
Waiting for connection from host on [192.168.1.121:55481]...

and perhaps also

Which googling brings up a lot of other people with issues in other Unity games (TIS-100, Cities: Skylines and a few others) as well as this thread on facepunch: http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446172

Most of those issues seem to be people with dual monitor or more setups. I do have a dual monitor setup, a normal PC LCD monitor and also an out to the TV. I’ve tried with both turned on or just one of them, again no difference.

Thanks for the input Utilitron, really appreciate it.

edit: I never noticed before, but there’s another file with info in it, Log.Exception.txt

It has this over and over in it.

CoherentUI: glTexSubImage2D failed with error 1280 (W/H 1360x768; Format GL_BGRA)
MiniRaven:CleanupStackTrace(String)
MiniRaven:ReportException(String, String)
ErrorLogger:CaptureLog(String, String, LogType)
Facepunch.Output:LogHandler(String, String, LogType)
UnityEngine.Application:CallLogCallback(String, String, LogType, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
Coherent.UI.UnityLogHandler:WriteLog(Severity, String, UInt32)
Coherent.UI.ILogHandler:SwigDirectorWriteLog(Int32, String, UInt32)
UnityEngine.GL:IssuePluginEvent(Int32)
CoherentUIViewRenderer:Draw()
CoherentUIViewRenderer:OnPostRender()

CoherentUI: Unable to update texture for view 0
MiniRaven:CleanupStackTrace(String)
MiniRaven:ReportException(String, String)
ErrorLogger:CaptureLog(String, String, LogType)
Facepunch.Output:LogHandler(String, String, LogType)
UnityEngine.Application:CallLogCallback(String, String, LogType, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
Coherent.UI.UnityLogHandler:WriteLog(Severity, String, UInt32)
Coherent.UI.ILogHandler:SwigDirectorWriteLog(Int32, String, UInt32)
UnityEngine.GL:IssuePluginEvent(Int32)
CoherentUIViewRenderer:Draw()
CoherentUIViewRenderer:OnPostRender()

Did you try disconnecting one?

Yeah, makes no difference.

edit: Everything I google involving this throws up a lot of threads with people with issues, and none where anyone solved it. the 7DTD forum has a similar post that was bumped yesterday involving this.

I think the reason why it only affects some people might have something to with this post I found: http://forum.lwjgl.org/index.php?topic=4119.0

The pertinent part;

I do indeed have an Nvidia card, and that thing about resizing - well every time I launch Rust it always wants to play in 1280 x 768 (if I don’t have the TV plugged in that is the highest option it gives me) and when it fullscreens, it resizes to 1360x768.

Thing is, if it was the resizing that was buggering it, then why isn’t playing windowed fixing it for me? Hrm.

Further edit: I tried playing it with just the TV plugged in at 1920x1080 (which is the TV’s natural resolution) and even without resizing it still fails.

Here is my terminal output in case it helps:

./rust
Set current directory to /home/erik/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Rust
Found path: /home/erik/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Rust/rust
Mono path[0] = '/home/erik/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Rust/rust_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/erik/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Rust/rust_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/erik/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Rust/rust_Data/Mono/etc'
PlayerConnection initialized from /home/erik/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Rust/rust_Data (debug = 0)
PlayerConnection initialized network socket : 0.0.0.0 55135
Multi-casting "[IP] 192.168.1.106 [Port] 55135 [Flags] 3 [Guid] 2699265168 [EditorId] 1157049075 [Version] 1048832 [Id] LinuxPlayer(192.168.1.106) [Debug] 1" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...
Waiting for connection from host on [192.168.1.106:55135]...
Using monoOptions --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,embedding=1,defer=y,address=0.0.0.0:56168
PlayerConnection already initialized - listening to [192.168.1.106:55135]
client has 2 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(DVI-I-2): 1280 x 1024
displaymanager screen (1)(DVI-I-1): 1280 x 1024

Well fuck. If that’s your output and it runs, it shows both the things I pointed out so it can’t be either of those.

I am still a bit concerned about the joystick stuff, mainly because from the looks of it in your vid the last output in the player.log is concerning the screen size. In my log the next 2 lines are:

Can you post the result from

dpkg -p libudev-dev