Liturature on 3d Modeling

I think its time i start learning 3d modeling, and i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions about what kinda books are available.
I was looking for something that covers it generally, not just specific to the Software used, that could give me experiance with concepts and
terminology involved.

I would also like to know what 3d Modeling programs play nice with Source.

Thanks!

nothin…

Books? BOOKS!?!? If you want to read books, go to a bookstore, otherwise, there’s more literature/videos on the net about modelling than any one person could ever consume in their lifetime, and it’s mostly all free.

As far as which 3D modelling programs play nicely with source, well, you basically have a choice between Maya, 3DS Max, and Blender. All have their pro’s and cons when it comes to dealing with source. However, Blender is free and from what I’ve seen, it seems to be the easiest path into Source, however Blender the program is a bit tricky to learn how to use (depending on who you ask). After Blender, Maya is probably 2nd best for dealing with Source but the import/export plugins can sometimes be a pain to deal with, and last is 3DS Max. However you’ll find plenty of people who swear by 3DS Max, or Maya, or Blender so it’s really hard to say that one is definitely better than the other. In some ways 3DS is the easiest to get into source when using the Wall Worm tools but the reason I put it at the bottom of the list is the lack of .dmx export, however I wouldn’t be surprised if there is already some kind of hack for this and depending on what you’re trying to do you may not give a shit about .dmx.

There are some great beginner books, but most of them are software specific. Seriously, just start with the online help for a software of your choice, they all come with tutorials and all the information you will find in beginner books. Once you get through these then you can check some advanced books, DVDs or even courses in specialization of your choice.

As Palmix said though, you should definitely check out some of the resources / video tutorials on the internet too. They will give you much needed insight on the general work-flow. And its much more easier to follow when you are watching someone pushing/pulling thousands of verts as opposed to reading about it.

thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses and will check out some videos

So i went out and got “Blender Foundations By Roland Ness”.
I stand at the base of a great mountain, and begin my journey.