Lockpicks - New Useless Items?

So the developers decided to add lockpicks which seems contrary to the game because the game seems to be going for realism and lockpicks take that away. In real life if you kill someone and they have a locked backpack then you can simple take it and run but in rust you cant do that. This means that new players will not be able to get loot of the players that they kill because they aren’t far enough in the game to make lockpicks. They dont have the proper supplies yet. This wont effect players that have been playing for a while because they will just carry about a lockpick with them. Basically this makes the game a bit more challenging for beginners as its harder to get loot. Of course this can be turned off on the server but what was the point of adding lockpicks? I dont understand why they were added right now and the point that they serve. I made a video explaning them which is below but I still dont really get why they were added. There is no real need for them. Anyways I’m willing to wait and see what the developers make of it but until then I will be questioning this mechanic. If you can, please check out my video and give me some feedback. Thank you.

Yeah locked backpacks is definitely a hypocrisy of the dev’s stated intention of “not taking away from player freedom.” I have yet to try it out but it makes zero sense.

I hope dev remove a soon as posible locked backpacks…

Are backpacks even locked? Since the patch I have never seen a locked backpack. Maybe it’s only that every server I was on has it disabled.

I think it’s disabled by default … Server admins have to activate it if they wanna use it … We don’t.

I dont like Locked Bags. HOPE this will be only on PVE servers.

I think the devs. realized that it was a dumb idea, and backpedaled making it “optional”, which you can read as “will never be used”.

All the official servers have it disabled (PvP and PvE), which is kind of telling…

The comment in the tool about it “not working on doors (yet)” is very worrisome, and would be even more ridiculous than the locked backpack idea.

Servers can enable/disable locked backpacks globally. If you don’t like the feature, find a server that has it disabled. No need to completely remove this feature from the game because you don’t like it. In fact, the feature is disabled by default, so most servers will likely have it off unless they purposely mean to have it on.

I think they brought it in to minimize the killing between new started players. So not every guy with a stone trys to kill the other guy with the stone. I think it makes sense and since you can craft the pick early I really so no problem at all.

[quote=“soviet007, post:1, topic:164821”]

So the developers decided to add lockpicks which seems contrary to the game because the game seems to be going for realism and lockpicks take that away. In real life if you kill someone and they have a locked backpack then you can simple take it and run but in rust you cant do that. This means that new players will not be able to get loot of the players that they kill because they aren’t far enough in the game to make lockpicks. They dont have the proper supplies yet. This wont effect players that have been playing for a while because they will just carry about a lockpick with them. Basically this makes the game a bit more challenging for beginners as its harder to get loot. Of course this can be turned off on the server but what was the point of adding lockpicks? I dont understand why they were added right now and the point that they serve. I made a video explaning them which is below but I still dont really get why they were added. There is no real need for them. Anyways I’m willing to wait and see what the developers make of it but until then I will be questioning this mechanic. If you can, please check out my video and give me some feedback. Thank you.

[/QUOTE]

No. You need in the worst case 20min to craft one when you start on a new server.
Locked backpack are nice, perfectible maybe.
They are adding balance, letting new players a way to have theirs few assets back when slaughtered by kevlar/M4 gangs for no reasons.

I haven’t found a single server that actually says that they enable them.

I currently play on a server that has it enabled. It wiped 2 days ago. At first it sucked, because everyone was fresh and no one had enough resources to craft one. Normally, my grp will quickly get up a 1x1 with some storage boxes… put down sleeping bags… then begin killing other players for resources. This obviously stopped us from being able to do that as the server also had a 10 min timer set on the backpacks. Anyways, this was not necessarily a bad thing as it gives new players a chance to build up. But now that we are established with many resources, we just run around with about 5 lockpicks each and kill everything on site. Some players go naked on purpose now because they think people will leave them alone. The only people we don’t KOS are those with rocks in their hands.

So in the end, locked backpacks doesn’t really help new players all that much once a server starts to get established.

No its the other way around. Gangs with Kevlar will have lockpicks so new players won’t be able to get their stuff back. If a new player that started out gets lucky and kills a Kevlar, he won’t be able to get his stuff because he probably won’t have access to a lockpick.

Do any servers actually run this? Every single one I’ve played on has this disabled. Seems like a useless option that the community has spoken on, and not embraced in the slightest.

[editline]12th February 2014[/editline]

This is my biggest gripe, and the argument I use for speaking out against locked backpacks. 3 or 4 of us will go to a new server, and just build a shack, then run around with bows/axes, and maybe one guy with a pistol. We gear up by killing people with the good stuff, M4s, MP5s, kev. Locked backpacks kill this type of game play. I love the idea of overpowering someone with gear by numbers, it makes playing more exciting for both sides.

i think it was a test as it was the easiest thing to try it on. They are making new 2 user storage boxes right now and I think the lock picks will migrate over to those.

No server I play on has this, it’s completely optional, and lockpicks can be used for much more down the line. Please stop making useless threads that do even less than the lockpicks themselves.

Why do people keep saying they are going for realism with this game? This game is as unrealistic as Unreal Tournament

Every player has access to a lockpick. If you’re finding yourself hard pressed in getting access to it, you’re very clearly doing something wrong. People can jump up from naked rockmen to freaking kevlar and an m4 in an hour with just a bit of luck. There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to get a bit of metal to make a lockpick.

I think that they should get rid of lock picks and make one slot (only) follow you when you die. This would make trading easier. It will keep someone from double crossing you during the trade.
… Now that I think about it. Never mind.

I have no problem with the lockpick mechanic itself. As far as realism tell me how zombies or mutant animals dropping entire houses out of their pockets as loot is realistic?

My problem is the fact that it costs 8 low quality metal and 5 cloth to create a lockpick. First off, why would you even need cloth to make a metal lockpick and secondly…it costs 8 low quality metal to craft a metal foundation. So…the same amount to make an entire metal foundation…is the same amount it costs to make a metal lockpick? That’s ridiculous.