Looking for a business partner for a garry's mod server.

e: perl or bust

If my opinion truly is wrong, please, explain what is so hard about using a website to host a server?

1. It sounds like your basically getting a free-ride without doing any of the work.
  2. What do you bring to the table in this deal
  3. You do realise the magnitude if TTT servers out there, I’ve worked for alot of them and setup there donation systems the owner still has to pay after a year, even if it gets filled regularly.
  4. You should never make a community for the money or the fame rather see it as a hobby.
  5. When you invest in something you want your money back and more I think I would rather partner with someone who knows what they are doing, normally community owner partnership goes like this 1 person supply’s the funds for the server, the other makes the server itself individual. Basically a coder+ a producer. Unfortunately you don’t sound like either.

A webserver is not a game server. You can’t host a server with a website. You host a server with, well, a server. A website is a collection of pretty web pages for people to look at. A game server is a system process communicating and coordinating with multiple game clients.
Or, as is likely to be the case here, communicating and coordinating with no clients. Because trying to use a webserver to run a dedicated game server is going to end in tears.

e; funny story i remember a guy who once used ssh access on his web server to try and run a minecraft server, and completely blew apart his bandwidth, memory usage, and cpu limits. the hosting company certainly wasn’t very happy about his breaking their terms of service either.

By hosting with a website, I didn’t mean a website in itself, I meant a professional server hosting site. ex: http://nitrous-networks.co.uk/garrysmod

So you mean using a hosting company? What was your alternative, buying a server rack and a T1 connection?

Besides, where is your html wizardry going to come into this then? You’re buying a gameserver, so you won’t have anything to do with HTML. I still don’t get why it is at all attractive for anyone to pay money to host your server, with such a paltry reward as admin control and some of the donations. If they’re willing to shell out for a host, they can host the server themselves, and get ALL of the donations and do whatever the hell they want.
In case you weren’t aware, money doesn’t just appear in people’s bank accounts. They have to work to make that happen. Affording another drain on your money every month is not usually in everyone’s best interest, unless they have a really good reason to do it. Pay the money for hosting yourself.

I hate to break it to you, and I mean this in the nicest of ways, but you’re a complete clod.

I love how everyone appearantly thinks it’s a con

it IS a con

“YOU PAY MONEY TO DO A THING FOR ME. I’LL GIVE YOU ADMIN AND SOME OF THE MONEY I MAKE OFF OF YOUR MONEY. YOU WILL LITERALLY BE WORKING AT A LOSS HERE. I WILL USE MY HTML MAGIC CODING SHIT TO MAKE THIS SERVER GOOD, WHILE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY HOSTING A SERVER THAT HAS NO FUCKING PLAYERS EVER BECAUSE IT’S ANOTHER FUCKING TTT SERVER”

i mean come on, how clearly do we have to spell this out to you?

your idea is shit. it is shit. your idea is shit.

you have a shit idea. the idea, which you have, is shit.

here let me make a graph for you:

http://puu.sh/3DPiM.jpg

I’ve tried being informative. I’ve tried being reasonable. I’ve tried not to be blunt, but you have consistently failed to take the message on board that your idea

is

shit

I don’t want to leave you on a bad note, Boomly - I’m just trying to drill some sense into you about this.
A far more reasonable deal would be something as follows:

You pay for the hosting of the gameserver, and offer a cut of donations to potential coders who can write gamemode stuff for you - this will encourage them to produce quality work, because quality work means more players, and more players means more donations.

I do wish you the best in your endeavours, I really do - but you’re going to have a much worse reaction than the one we gave you if you try to go forward with your original plans in the real world.

e; Just one more thing - if someone else was hosting your server, and the two of you had an argument about something like administration rights or the amount of donations being shared, that person could completely ruin your server and your credibility. By paying for the hosting yourself, you’re not leaving yourself open to dangers like that.

“Yeah, my friend gets £100 in donation money!”

Well, where the hell is that going if you’re asking people to host a server for you?

“Buy a server, set it up, and we will take it from you later and make you one of the owners.”

Or, you know, I could just make the server and keep it for myself.

Also this.

What is with this - Set a server up to make money…

If you want money so badly get a job like the rest of us?

If one was both do they get a price? :smiley:

You own a server yet you need somewhere to host it, wait what?
-Mind fuq

I don’t have a job :v:

I just started a server but I’ll host it under your clan name if you would like. It would benefit me, my server would get populated by your clan. It would benefit you, you get a fraction of the donations.

I don’t think he has a clan or any type of player base. He just talked about knowing someone who did and I don’t think he would tell his players to join an other TTT server.

Don’t worry, me neither. That makes both of us losers. :suicide:

oops dumb bump, didn’t notice old thread :frowning:

If you still need help with this then you can add me on steam and I can be of assistance http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008054710/