Looking to make a table of sorts

I’m trying to puzzle out how exactly to make a table of player names, and how to add a number to each player when they, say, kill an NPC. The end goal here is to alert them every five kills with something like “playername, you have X kills.” I understand how to alert them, and how to check if they’ve killed something, but its the table thats giving me trouble. Any help would be appreciated.

uhh something like

[lua]
hook.Add( “DoPlayerDeath”, “derp”, function( _, ply )

if ply:Frags() % 5 == 0 then
	ply:PrintMessage( HUD_PRINTTALK, "You just killed 5 people or something!" )
end

end )
[/lua]

This I get. The trouble is creating a table to keep track of each players individual kills

Why do you need to do that?

In my case, I’m building a very basic RPG script as a learning piece. I have one working, but as the XP and level are not per player, it is pretty broken.

No I mean why do you think that’s neccessary? The “:Frags()” method already keeps track of how many kills a player has (assuming you’re deriving from the ‘base’ gamemode).

I want to store their level, XP, and name in one place for ease of access

So store their player object then?

Maybe? I’m just getting started here

I haven’t worked with lua or tables in awhile, but something like this might work.

local playershit = {
    {name= "Sasha", kills = 1337, deaths = 0, XP = 9001}, 
    {name= "Oubliette", kills = -99999999999, deaths = 999999999999, XP = 0},
}

Then just use table.Insert to place in new entries. I think you can also do something like this with the columns if you would prefer this method.

local playershit = {
Oubliette = {kills = -99999999999, deaths = 999999999999, XP = 0}
}

Access data members in a for loop for my above solution, or access that bottommost piece like this.

playershit.Oubliette.kills 

[editline]18th July 2013[/editline]

Also I was bored, here’s the for loop you would use to iterate through that table.

for k v in pairs(playershit) do
    if (v.name == "yournamehere") then
        v.kills = 1/0;
        v.deaths = 700;
        //etc
    end
end