Low GPU Usage

Hello, I would like to start this by saying I have a GTX 970, 16GB RAM, and an AMD 8350 CPU. I can run essentially any game that I want to above 60 FPS. But when it comes to GMOD I have an issue, I barely get 40 FPS sometimes. I can run other Source games just fine, but not GMOD. I also notice very low GPU usage, hovering around 25%. Is this an optimization problem, because my GPU should be hovering at 80% and giving me 200 FPS+

The engine garry’s mod is using is very old. I don’t belive that your graphics card is the issue but rather that your CPU is bottlenecking.

I may be wrong, but I think this might be because the game doesn’t need as much GPU power as it needs CPU power, and as far as I also know the game also only runs on a single thread, and single thread performance can be rather poor on an AMD CPU. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything you can do about having low FPS in this situation.

Would be nice if Garry were to fix it, but he doesn’t care about this game anymore.

I mean the game is over 10 years old. Companies like EA and Ubisoft dont even support their games for that long at all, gmod is still supported. You will have to wait for gmod 2 with the new engine :slight_smile:

Not quite sure where I heard it, but I’m not totally convinced gmod 14 will be released, let alone running source 2.

No, but read this http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1474548