Mac lag on Steam

Model Identifier: iMac13,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz (3.9 Ghz Turbo Boost)
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color

Ok thats what my computer has and I get 13 fps on the experimental build at lowest settings. On the highest settings I get 2 fps. My computer handles other games like Rage at full settings at 60 fps. I know that you all are working on the build but 13 fps is hard to play. Just thought I’d give some insight on the performance degradation from the Mac side of things. I have had issues with video with other Steam games so I’m not sure how much of that may be related to the steam client itself.

Did you play Legacy? This machine should easily play Legacy on high settings (since my Mac with 8 Gb Ram, i5, and Intel HD card can play Legacy fine with good FPS.

I wonder if something is going on with you, or this is just the state of Mac Rust right now: very bad FPS with a good Mac at lowest settings.

If you lower your resolution, your FPS could go up a lot.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your machine, Rust is a resource hog, and struggles on a mac. My machine has similar spec to yours, and I have to turn graphics to minimum and use ~1200x900 resolution to be playable. Turning off Procedural Virtual Texturing can up your FPS by almost another 10 FPS, but makes all that stunning scenery and terrain look like crap.

Try running at 1920x1080. That should help somewhat.

Legacy version runs fine at full quality, I’ll give a lower resolution a shot although I’m really going to miss the full screen. I did run Rust on a much lower spec’d Windows 8.1 computer (I’m talking lowest of the low) with a Intel 4000 video card, 8 GB of ram, 2.3 Ghz dual-core i3, and a 5400 RPM hdd and I was able to run it seemingly better, even though the quality of the game was less than what I was playing on my Mac, I was still able to push 53-68 FPS. As much of a jump as I did going from my high end Mac to the low end Winbox I should have been seeing comparable FPS based on graphics card differences.

But like I said I’ll try 1920x1080 first just to try and get that HD quality, and if that doesn’t work then I’ll go to 1200x900 with PVT off for each.

Thanks for the tips you all. Much appreciated. Now hopefully I can get in there and build something before someone shoots me with a rifle :smiley: