Making a completely custom playermodel

So I have this character model that I made over the past week or so using Blender. It has a custom skeleton and everything. I’m trying to find a way to make it into a playermodel, but I can’t find any tutorials that assume you’ve created everything from scratch. Does anybody know of any tutorials that would help me, or is anyone willing to help directly?

if you’ve already have your model ready, just export it as smd, then create a .qc script file (you can decompile default models for reference)

Are you sure? The bones don’t need to have the same names as the standard Valve biped bones or anything?

I’m just gonna give this thread a lil’ bump.

The model either has to be rigged on the ValveBiped skeleton in order to work properly, or you can rename the bones, then rotate them if something is wrong (usually something is always wrong)

Okay, good. I was getting worried that I’d have to redo the entire armature.

There is a problem though; there are a bunch of extra bones on the ValveBiped armature that I’m not sure what they do (like bicep, shoulder, ulna, glut, and pectoral), so I haven’t added them to my custom armature. Would that cause any problems?

Those little bones are just to make the rigging more natural and are not needed for animations

Alright, cool.

Hey, thank you guys for helping me out so far, it means a lot. And I’m sorry to have you guys holding my hand through this whole thing, but I’m so confused as to what to do next. I know a .qc file is necessary, but I have no idea how to make/get it. Then after that, I don’t know what to do with those files to actually make it into a functional playermodel. I would’ve figured simply googling these things would yield comprehensive instructions, but either no instructions that match my circumstances could be found, or they’re just way too vague or confusing to follow.

Please use the modelling forum next time

And about the QC file, I recommend decompiling some of Valve’s existing models to see what they do. Most of the time it’s just a couple of constraints to stop joints such as arms moving unnaturally, some parameters for facial posing and some animation related data.

So I exported the model from Blender and copy-pasted the .qc from the decompiled base_male PAC model. What do I do from here?

By the way, the eyes are kind of weirdly titled. The left eye is Eyes.001 and the right eye is Eyes. Probably should’ve fixed that.

Dude we are Lua developers, not modellers, you have to understand that, you might want to check modelling forum about this

Kind of off-topic, and it might just be me, but I feel like I don’t get much help there. Even though modelling on average gets more viewers than dev discussion. (I am not saying he/she should be posting here, they should still go to modelling forum.)