Making a custome sprite

Hello, i am currently trying to learn more about rendering sprites with lua. i want to create my own sprite to be used in a gamemode i am creating with a friend, as a test i have created a sort of slashing texture i want to render when i attack with a melee weapon. This is the jpeg of the image i created “http://img.imagedash.com/Ke2R.jpg
what do i do from here. i have created a tga of that image with alpha arround it and imported it into vtfedit. what settings do i need to put for the .vtf to keep the alpha and were do i put the file after that in order to call upon it.

Ok i got it to work i had to make a .vmt for the vtf that ended up looking like
“UnlitGeneric”
{
“$basetexture” “slash”
“$vertexcolor” 1
“$vertexalpha” 1
“$nolod” 1
“$ignorez” 1
}

and i put that with the vtf into my materials folder
to draw it i used
function testdraw ()

local pos,material,white = Vector(0,0,0), Material( “slash” ),Color(255,255,255,255) --Define this sort of stuff outside of loops to make more efficient code.
hook.Add( “HUDPaint”, “paintsprites”, function()
cam.Start3D(EyePos(),EyeAngles()) – Start the 3D function so we can draw onto the screen.
render.SetMaterial( material ) – Tell render what material we want, in this case the flash from the gravgun
render.DrawSprite( pos, 256, 256, white) – Draw the sprite in the middle of the map, at 16x16 in it’s original colour with full alpha.
cam.End3D()
end )
end
concommand.Add( “testdraw”, testdraw )

it draws the sprite at the stated cords of the map, hope this info helps anyone who was stuck like me