Making an RP server, need suggestions for everything

I have a 12 slot garrysmod server that has been laying around for a while on sandbox, and I’m interested in making it into an RP server.

For the gamemode: I was thinking CakeScript or GmodRP, probably going to go with GmodRP. Please, do suggest a gamemode if you think it’s better than either of these.

For the addons: Probably just the admin mod. Players don’t like having to download a ton of shit they’ll probably not use.

For the map: Oviscity seems like a good candidate, but please do feel free to suggest one.

Oviscity is a pretty good map :smiley: But have you heard of a series of RP maps called City 8? You should check them out. Though they may take a little more processing power to operate. Still, they are very detailed and very creative maps. Hope this helped!

I’ll look into those.

[editline]01:46AM[/editline]

They look great but I’d rather not force players to download a 90MB map.

What kind of roleplay are you planning?

I’m not really sure. Something along the lines of what GmodRP was going for.

Ok, you may want to take a look at this: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=881775
It’ll give you some ideas of what kind of RP some people are looking for.

If my friend finishes DERP, I’ll use that.

I’ll go bug him about that :v:

Yeah, I’ll just redo it, we originally intended to make it as retarded as possible, aka coded like a 9 year old, but it was to be extremely basic, /me and a money system.

Best thing is to find ways to stand out from others, and I’d suggest ragmod, might seem stupid, but if you turn on the PvP-setting, propkilling/propsurfing won’t be a problem, just a hint. You can also turn on some other settings to make heavy weapons knock the player down, adds serious realism.

I’d advise making it a 32 player slot if you want a big playerbase like Taco n Bannana’s community

Yes, because having lots of slots instantly gives you a huge playerbase.

I just finished up the basics for the DERP gamemode, alpha testing is going on, we have to fix alot but its what came out of a day of coding.

The map should be RPS_Downtown_V2

Good luck with that.