Making Duplicate versions of addons

Hi there, I’m playing around with an addon I downloaded and I’m trying to make a modified version with a different texture, but I don’t want the modified version to overwrite the old one. I have no idea what files have to be renamed or edited to make this happen. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to google a good answer on this.
Thanks for the help!

Can you post the code where the material is set?

Put your texture/material in the same directory as the original. Then look in the code to find where they set the material to the original and change it so it sets the material to yours.

Thanks for the response, sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.

Just to clear things up, this is the addon i’m trying to have a duplicate of http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283815805&searchtext=halo+3

So I am able to duplicate the addon. Lets say the original is named “Halo1” and the duplicate is “Halo2”

The problem is, the “halo2” model keeps getting the materials of the “Halo1” model, and not it’s own. I looked through a lot of files in notepad++, but I can’t find anything linking it to the “Halo1” materials. Although I may just be looking in the wrong places, I’m not very good at this stuff.