Making Model Lighting the Same as a Brush Face

So as you can see in the picture below there is a big contrast in equal lighting. This is because the lighter area is a brush and the darker area is brushwork that I’ve converted into a model using propper. What are some techniques for getting the lighting to be more smoothly transitioned?

Thanks for the help!

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1065/subway0013.th.jpg

Switch to advanced compile, and add -staticproplighting to the vrad parameters. Please note models with bumpmaps won’t be affected by this, and it’s per-vertex lighting, not per-luxel as with brushes.

Isn’t it -staticproppolys?

Yes.

Guys, please don’t give incorrect advice. Do you even know what -staticproppolys does? It does nothing to help the OP’s problem.

-staticproppolys only makes the shadows that static props cast more detailed; in other words, instead the prop’s collision model casting shadows, the props actual reference geometry casts the shadow

THE REASON there is different shades of light on the brush face versus the model, is because brushes and models use different material shaders

brushes use LightMappedGeneric

whereas props use VertexLitGeneric.

Your best solution would be to convert that model back to brushwork, that way, the touching faces will both be LightMappedGeneric.

NEVER make a wall into a model (unless it’s some damaged wall with rubble falling out of it or something). Walls are supposed to have lightmaps on them. Models cannot have lightmaps.

Info_lighting is what you are looking for, I believe.

What they said with the vertex lighting. Really no matter what parameters you put in for the compile process, it will always look like that.

You could try using an info_lighting and placing it in the darker area. I’m not positive if this will fix your problem though, but it’s worth a try.

Also why would you make that section of wall into a prop? It doesnt seem very complex.

No. -staticproplighting enables per-vertex lighting on models, which is what he wants. -staticproppolys just makes the compiler use polygon info to cast shadows, rather than the collision model.

While models cannot use radiosity lightmaps, the reason why the lighting is so poor for models by default is because they sample lighting that is at the origin of itself, rather than the individual vertexes relative to the light.

Have a clock. I relized that once I looked back over the VRAD wiki, and since brerben said that.

It might as well be answered twice since we will probably see another thread like this next week.

Most likely :smith:

Ok, So -staticproplighting doesn’t do anything to help, However I also tried Info_lighting before I posted this but I have two questions that may help me once I have the answers:

1.) Where should the Info_lighting be placed? Near the prop? Near the Light source, in the open?

2.) Should I be changing the settings in the prop menus such as: Disable Vertex Lighting, Disable self-shadowing with vertex lighting, ignore surface normal for vertex lighting? How would they affect the prop?

Thanks guys

Why do you even need the wall to be a prop in the first place?

Its was a square bush which I embedded and archway into, so the parts I cut away left very complicated brushwork around the edge of the archway (which you cannot see).

Why would you want to play on a model?

func_detail