Making your model shine?

Hey guys, i’m making a nice table model, and I want to make the texture on it shine abit, how to do this? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Phong or Envmap depending on what sort of shine your after.

Env_cubemaps are more for reflective surfaces. Phong is more metallic or wet looking. You can also use both in combination, I believe.

Here’s a short example of a cubemap entry in the .VMT for whatever texture you’re editing.

"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
	"$envmapmask" "models\props	able_mask"

The “$envmapmask” is a separate, black & white texture that shows which parts of the model are shiny, which are in between, and which parts aren’t shiny at all. For example, if you wanted the table to be a little reflective but be very reflective on the edges of the table, you would make the table texture a dark grey and then make the edges of the table white, or a lighter grey.

Here is a (bad) example of cubemaps at work.

And here is phong.

$phong 1
	$phongexponent 33
	$phongexponenttexture models/Alyx/alyx_head_exponent
	$phongboost	6
	$phongfresnelranges	"[0.05 0.5 1]"

That is what Alyx Vance uses.

Phong uses masks as well to specify which parts of the model are shiny. Implementing it is basically the same as cubemaps, but I believe you are required a bump map for phong to work correctly, or at least that’s what I remember. $Phong 1 means phong is on, 0 is off. Exponent means how sharp the shine is. The higher the number, the “skinnier” the light will get. I fucking suck at explaining things. $Phongboost is how powerful the phong is. $phongfresnelranges are some other options you can experiment with.

I think you explained it pretty well ^^

And yes you have to have a normalmap for phong to work and it works best if you put the phong map in the alpha channel of the normalmap.

Also you can put the envmap mask in the alpha channel of the base texture and it works pretty well.

You can also use both together, but it’s advised you don’t use them on the same places :stuck_out_tongue:

Should I put my model path in there, or is it a seperate .VTF file?

To clarify the phong issue. You really do require a bumpmap for it to work since the phong mask is placed into the alpha channel of the bump map.

So phong is essentially made from two elements unless I’m mistaken.
Phongmask and Phongexponent.
The mask indicated the amount of reflectivity and the exponent the tightness. (at least I think)
The difference is, you can dodge the need for a phongexponent texture by making a global exponent value that the material then uses everywhere.

in the same folder as the base texture would be a good idea, which looks like what you’ve got there so that’s fine ^^ Also you don’t need a VMT for it as its part of the base texture’s one.

Nope thats right ^^ I’ve found using an exponent texture doesn’t really seem to work, just makes it look like the lighsource is inconsistant (i’m probberly just using it wrong though) and found the exponent value to look better.

Okay, thanks guys.

np :slight_smile: